Strep- High Fever

My 7 yr old has strep for the first time. Woke up from a nap w a 104.6 fever. Freaking me out! He started antibiotics today and I did put a call in to the ped. Is this fever normal w strep of way too high? I just gave him Tylenol and Advil together per his pediatrician. He said he doesn't have a sore throat but he complained of a headache earlier and has a cough.How can he not have a sore throat?

His fever is down to 100.5 with the meds, so hopefully it will not spike again! Thanks for all of your advice. Everyone makes fun of me for always running my kids to the pediatrician, but you just never know since their symptoms are always so different per child. Hopefully the antibiotics kick in soon. I wonder how many cases of strep are missed from lack of sore throat.

Strep... is not a throat cold, only.
It can and does, affect the whole body and other organs.
That is why, it is very dangerous.

Strep... is not a throat cold, only.
That is why, it is very dangerous.

Yes it's normal but that high is not good. Ever two hours give him meds. give him tylenol and then two hours later Advil. It it will not go down take him to the ER.

It is normal. Sometimes it is higher than others and having a headache is typical for both me and my daughter when we have strep. Push the liquids, you can put a cool rag or ice pack on his neck and/or wrists to help cool him too.

What we normally do is alternate between Tylenol and Advil or Motrin...every four hours.

Did he have a strep test? It should go down, not completely, with in 24 hours. If it doesn't, he might have the flu. Be sure to push the fluids.

Our ped always said anything over 103 was dangerous. Try cold compresses and/or rub alcohol on his back. When I had a 103 fever that is what helped to bring it down.
I've had strep about 16 times. I don't always have a sore throat. Has the doc done the strep culture?

Normal. Don't fret. Antibiotics need time to work. He will probably have a temp for a few days. He has a headache from the temp.

strep has caused fevers over 105 for my children. give motrin (ibuprofen) rotate with tylenol every 3 hrs. lukewarm bath 2-3 times a day. antibiotics should start kicking within 12 hrs. also, clean door knobs, bathrooms, replace his toothbrush after 48 hrs on antibiotics etc. i mean clean clean clean everything.

Did you put him in a cool bath? has it gone down? you need to get it under 102 for his brain! That is pretty high even for strep from my experience, but I haven't had strep in a few years. The antibiotics should help, but again, if his fever will not go down take him to the ER!!!

Another trick I did with my daughter when her fever was high, was sit her on the porch outside in the cold night air and let her watch a cartoon on my laptop. She LOVED that and it made her fever go down. She was naked and I wrapped her in a very lightweight cotton quilt that felt heavy, but kept her cool.

Good luck to you and your little one!

1 / 3