Strange Bumps on My Daughter's Skin

My 4yo daughter has these strange bumps on her skin. They start out as a small, skin colored bump. Then they grow and turn white. They are about the size of a wart. In fact they kind of look like a wart, but don't have the califlower look to them. Then they turn red and erupt. Then they heal like a normal wound. She has them popping up all over her body, except her hands, feet, and face. She has 4 or 5 red ones at any one time. They appear to be growing in numbers though. Her elbows have significant numbers of them coming up. They don't bother her until after they open up. Then she says it hurts when they are pushed on. Other than that they don't bother her much.

I don't have insurance and hubby is a real estate agent (you know how that's going these days), so we can't afford to take her to a doctor. Has anyone experienced this type of thing, or know what it is? I haven't been able to find anything online. If you have do you know if she will grow out of it?

Thanks in advance!

My sister has this same thing.. DO NOT PICK AT THEM! They are a type of fungus and they will spread when they're popped. You can use an anti-fungal cream to get rid of them. However, you have to do it for at least 6 months, as fungus is very stubborn. If that does not help you should take her to a dermatologist and get a perscription for it. Good luck.

I went though a short period where I had no insurance for my son. He was quickly coming up on his next round of immunizations and he had a terrible rash that wouldn't go away. Mind you, I made too much money to qualify for any kind of assistance (food stamps, WIC, money, or healthcare), but I certinally didn't have $200 to go for a doctors appointment. I took him to a county clinic (here in Portland, OR). I was scared that it was going to be filthy and scary, but it was very nice and the doctor was great. I got free immunizations and free medicine to treat his rash. If you live in Oregon here is a link to the information:

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/hsp/safetynet/index.shtml

Without looking at them, I can't say for sure, but they sound like molloscum contagiosum. Google that and you'll find a bunch of information.

My daughter had them - they start out like tiny red bumps, usually very hard to the touch. Then a white head develops in the middle and eventually they erupt, like a pimple. They are extremely contagious and are easily passed from one child to another.

Swimming pools and daycares are the most common places for the virus to be passed around because the virus can live for some time in water as well as on hard surfaces.

To keep your other children from catching them, you would want to wash her bedding and her cloths in hot water and wash your hands after touching the bumps. Tell her not to touch them, if that's possible, and have her wash her hands frequently. Put bandaids on the ones that have erupted or are about to erupt. And don't bathe your children together.

This is what my pediatrician told me: While ugly, they are not harmful. They are related to the same virus that causes warts. Most children develop a natural immunity to them in 1 to 2 years of being exposed to them. Adults don't get them because they have already developed the immunity. The only adults that do get them have a compromised immune system.

There was a good thread about molloscom 6 or more months ago on mamasource - a lot of moms had great advice about how to care for them. One mom said she used hydrogen peroxide with success. I can't remember all the other responses, but you might want to do a search and see what you find.

Of course, my answer assumes your daughter has molloscom! I'm not a doctor, so please don't just take my word on this! Seeing a doctor is always the best thing to do - although I truly do understand the challenges of no insurance. Perhaps another mom will have advice about how your could find low-cost medical care for your LO.

Best of luck.

Consider this might be a food alergy. My personal experience is that this sounds like a gluten sensitivity. Do some research about celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. My daughter has skin issues. They clear up when we do not feed her wheat or gluten products. That's the sure test. Start eliminating foods one by one to see what works. It takes a while, but it is the most clear way.

What you describe sounds exactly like something my 4-year old niece is currently dealing with. It has been diagnosed as "Molloscum Contagiosum", which is a virus that is contagious. I googled it and found a lot of helpful information as well as photos so that you can compare to what your daughter may have. They did take her to a doctor for treatment. Avoid contact with other people as it is most contagious when the virus is "shedding", ie. when the round thing becomes red like a blister and opens.

It could be molluscum (not sure of right spelling, or even the right word). It's a very contagious skin disorder. A neighbor of mine has 2 daughters who got it from their cousins. Good luck Googling it. Hope you find an answer. You really should have a doctor look at it, as it could be contagious. I know it's hard w/o insurance.

The first thing that comes to mind is possibly an allergy to laundry detergent since she is only breaking out where her clothes hit. A few other ideas - eczema, psoriasis, an allergy to food, dry skin.

You may want to check into getting some state insurance for her to get you through this time until things pick up with your husband's work.

I hope whatever it is is an easy fix.

Find a clinic - I know times are tough, but it's not worth the risk of turning into something significant. Perhaps start by calling the advice nurse of where her pediatrician has been in the past and describe it.

My daughter has that also. She's 3.

1 / 3