Store Bought Hair color...best and Worst?

I'm thinking about doing my own color to save a little money. Wondering what brands everyone recommends. There are so many out there! Especially wondering if there is a brand that I should stay away from. Thanks for any and all advice!!!

I have been coloring about 5 years and have always used Garnier Nutriesse - the girl at Ulta recommended it and it's great.

A., it's cheap but I've used Colorsilk since I was in college and have never had a problem. You can get it anywhere (CVS, Target, Jewel, etc.), it doesn't stink up the place and super easy to use. You go girl!

I haven't tried it, but a friend uses hair color from whole foods and loves it.

I like Loreal the no-drip formula. I have been coloring my hair at home now for a year and a half and had no problems with it at all. The color is always consistant.

S. T.

I did the same thing and colored by hair at home. The bottle spilled putting the color all over by bathroom - so my husband had to repaint it.

I now opt to go to beauty school - there's quite a few around - I'm not sure where you live. But they are more reasonably price but take a little longer time - since it's students and then the teacher has to check at certain points. Try tricocci school or pivot point.

my girlfriend has tried a few - mostly l'oreal, i think - and has been happy. but one word of caution no matter which brand you use: don't do it too often. you might try to alternate between doing it at home and at a salon. apparently the home brands are much stronger and harsher on your hair and after doing it time and again, my friend really damaged her hair. you might try a place like pivot point or somewhere like that where they have supervised students performing the task for a reduced fee. if you have a person that normally colors your hair (or your stylist) mention your situation and ask their advice. they won't be offended - everyone is feeling the pinch these days. they might have a great suggestion of where to get a discounted service, they might offer to do it for less on the side, or they might recommend a great box color for your hair type. good luck!

BEen there, done that. I personally would find a different way to save money, The color is drab, harsh, not natural looking. Leaves stuff on your hair so when you decide that it just isn't looking that great, the hair designer has a difficult time making it look good. So basically, you do it once, you aren't satisfied and then takes 6 months to get it back to normal with the hair designer anyway.

I discovered there is a reason why you need to be a licenced cosmotologist. The chemicals are different and look different.

I don't have any experience, but I saved this post because I thought maybe one day I'd try it:

http://www.mamasource.com/request/5354757643732779009

1 / 3