Breastfeeding Milk Leak - Stopped breastfeeding but still leak milk

I had to stop breastfeeding my son when he was 3 weeks old. I was experiencing severe pain while breastfeeding and did not find out until later it was because my son had gotten thrush, which also got on me. Anyway...I dried up my milk when he was 3 weeks old and he's 4 months (18 weeks) old now. I was able to dry up my milk within about 4-5 days without much trouble. The problem is I still notice my nipples leaking at times when he cries. It's not a lot, but my shirt has little wet spots. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen this long after drying up your milk. Is there anything I can or should do about it?

I quit bf my daughter at 4 months and up until I got pregnant with this little guy I still had milk. my milk would leak pretty often when she cried (or when other babies cried). I'd try bf him again if you can. =) but otherwise, you may want to talk to the dr about it to see what they say.

K.,
I had a similar experience. I had to give up on the idea of breastfeeding very early on. But for a good long while, perhaps months (it's hard to remember exactly how long), I leaked small amount of milk. I'm just letting you know that eventually it stopped wihtout any intervention. Be patient, and wear some breast pads in the meantime! Good luck!

it will continue for a while, but will gradually taper off over time. i could still express a few drops here and there unitle my daughter was over a 1 yr old and i stoppped nursing when she was 4 months. just continue to use nursing pads in your bra until it starts to taper off.

If your breasts are still leaking, and the thrush is gone, why not just nurse him again? Even if its not enough milk to sustain him, it will stop the leak and be a great comfort to both of you to have him nuzzling at your breast again. I nursed all mine for 3 yrs each, I can't imagine quitting after only 3 wks. I think this is your opportunity to reclaim some of that lost special time with him.
If that is not an option, try this: when he cries, and you feel that let down sensation that signals the milk is coming, just put your arms up to your breasts and push in until the tingling goes away. I had to do this quite often when I was nursing and working in a nursery, (bad combination!) everytime any of the babies cried, my body was ready to nurse them all! Direct pressure on the nipples stemmed the flow pretty quickly.

I weaned at 7 months and I still on occasion has a leak and my baby is 2! Have you thought about restarting? It is totally possible! Either way a good place to go for more information is the La Leche Ledge. I am a doula (labor coach) and I highly encourage mothers to breast feed as long as they can. But also do what you feel is best for the baby.

H. Mother of three breast feed all and I am a doula

I brestfed my daugther for 3 months and she is 6 months now and I still have milk but it doesn't leak. You might try Lily Pads (that's the brand name) the are silicone pads that fit over the nipple that prevents leakage and that will help until you completly dry up. Also, this sounds crazy but if your husband ever does anything to them then your milk won't dry up until he stops.

Hi K., I stopped bfeeding at around 3 weeks. My son is now 14 months, and I *still* leak. I really could relactate if I wanted to. My mother said it took 2 years for hers to completely dry out. I've heard that cabbage leaves applied to your breasts help them dry out faster. I've yet to try this as it doesn't bother me much.

Absolutely! My sone is two and I stopped nursing him when he was 6 months old and I still on rare occassions leak out of one breast. My OB said it's natural to leak up to a year or more after breastfeeding. If it's a problem for you wear nursing pads to hide the leaks.

Dear K.,

If the thrush is gone, you can start nursing again.
And if it returns, drops for the baby and a salve
for you can cure it. Dr. Sears and his wife have
a wonderful book about breastfeeding, and they cover
thrush in their book. ALL of Dr. William Sear's baby
books are the best as far as I am concerned.

Sincerely yours,
Joan_h.

K.,

1 / 3