Stop My Son from Vomiting

Any ideas on how to get my son to stop throwing up..I know your supposed to give water to help with dehydration, but I wanted to know if there's any products to purchase that would help him stop the vomiting or what could be done to help him. I'm not good at handling throw up, so the least I have to deal with it, the better I will be able to handle the situation. I am trying to prepare myself for the flu season and he had it really bad and he's prone to catching every virus in site!! He's already caught a horrible virus in the middle of the summer. Go Figure...Thanks for all moms help/support

I was told by a doc once that eating ice chips or popsicles would cause the stomach to refrain from contracting - causing the vomitting. It makes sense - the stomach is a muscle and they don't contract as easily when they're cold. My ex-husband had food poisoning and couldn't quit dry heaving - so that's the advice he was given.

You could try a modified version of the brat diet(bananas,rice or rice cereal,applesauce,toast) just because these foods are easier to digest when young children have stomach issues like diarrhea and vomiting and so they tend to keep it down..also watch to see why he is vomiting in case you dont know and see if he's sticking his fingers too far in his mouth my friends almost 3 year old does that deliberately..p.s. try pedialyte popsicles or drinks to replenish fluids lost from vomiting it works way better than water because it has the electrolytes lost through vomiting and diarrhea while water doesn't

Try using peanut butter if he does not have a peanut allergy. I used to work in a rehab for children in Cleveland OHIO and a little girl had the same problem. We gave her peanut butter before eating ANYTHING or as just a snack. It is thick and sticky and seems to hold the food down or just keep something in the stomach. Hope this helps E.

I agree, if your son is sick, you don't want him not to vomit. You want the bug worked out of his system. When a child starts vomiting, you only want them to take a sip of water every10-15 minutes until they can keep that down. Rarely do you really need an electrolyte solution. We always used 7 up. Seemed to help calm the stomache. You would want to take a sip only every 10-15 minutes. Once you can keep that down, it is time to move onto the BRAT diet. Don't immediately after puking try to take the drink. Wait for the stomache to calm down a little. Good luck this season. If you think your child is just prone to puking, then you can try some of the other remedies mentioned, but only if they are not sick with a stomach bug.
R.

You can get an anit-nausea medication over the counter at the pharmacy. Whenever my son gets the flu, he he seems to vomit a lot. This really helps to calm his stomach. His pediatrician recommended it. Hope this helps.

If he is vomitting, you do not want to "stop it" you want him to get the poison out. His body is rejecting something dangerous. My suggestion is to teach him how to vomit in the toilet. That leaves very little for you to clean up- bowls don;t work, they splash up if not big enough and then you have to clean the bowl- vomit in the toilet, and then just flush it away- usually all you ahve to clean up is a little on the surrounding floor or toilet sink- switch with a wipe and down the toilet as well!

Also- when someone is throwing up stick to the BRAT diet- Bannanas, Rice, Applesauce adn toast ( no butter) This is easy ont he stomach, provides needs nutrition ( bannaha have the potasium you need when dehydrated) It works wonders

Hi D.,
Several times when my kids were so sick and wouldn't stop vomiting I would take them to their pediatrician for some kind of shot they give on their bottom to stop the vomiting. I can't remember the name but your pediatrician will know. It worked every time. L.

There is a product that will slow vomiting, but I wouldn't recommend it to control your son's vomit just because you can't handle it. The body uses vomiting to expell the bactiria that is causing the illness,, in most cases....if you stop it from doing what is natural, you could prolong his illness.

Try popsickles or sucking on ice. Pedialyte makes popsickles too if you are concerned about dehydration. Studies show that soda pop actually is not the best thing, although that is what we always use. Gatoraide also is good for dehydration. Even though your child may be parched, only let him drink 1 Tablespoon every few minutes. If he drinks a bunch of water all at once, he will likely throw it right back up again. That's why the popsickles are nice. My daughter was hospitalized at age 3 for dehydration, and this is what worked for us.

Might want to also check into PEDIALITE (not sure of the spelling....it's been a while) This helps to maintain the electrolyte balances AND keep them hydrated.

Have you tried to track what he's eating and see if there is a connection there? Not even necessarily the food itself...maybe the additives, preservatives, etc. Even if this diminishes the vomiting, something is better than nothing.

I'd also buy a copies of ENCYCLOPEDIA OF NATURAL HEALTH & HEALING FOR CHILDREN by Weber and

NATURALLY HEALTHY BABIES & CHILDREN by Romm

1 / 3