Stomach Bug - Arlington,TX

Has anyone else been dealing with a stomach bug? My pediatrician's office said it has been "raging". My husband and I went out of town and while we were gone, my mother in law, my parents and both mu daughters got it. When we got back in town, my husband and I both got it. It is possibly a rotavirus. My mother in law even had to go to the ER due to dehydration. Anyone else had this? Does your family keep re-infecting one another? My five year old had not had any issues since Monday, but then had diarrhea again tonight. Thank you!

yes, my 4 1/2 year old had it about 3 weeks ago. She had the vomitting first then about a week later had the diarrhea. I took her to the pediatrician and they said thats what it was. She ran a fever with hers. No one else in my family has gotten it. Thank goodness. Hope he get to feeling better soon.

A few weeks ago, my son was throwing up like crazy. I took him to the doctor and she said she'd seen several cases like his and was expecting more since it seemed to be pretty contagious. She didn't diagnose it as rotovirus but she did say it was some type of virus. One of the symptoms, which I thought was odd, was not necessarily a sore throat but sores at the back of the throat. Once my son recovered, I thought we'd gotten off lucky but then a couple of days later, I ended up with diarrhea that lasted about two days. For my son, his doctor gave me a recipe for something that seemed to help a little with his discomfort. Here it is:

Magic Mouthwash

One small tube of Orajel, cherry flavor
Liquid Benedryl, cherry flavor
Liquid Mylanta, cherry flavor

Cut open the tube of Orajel and empty entire contents into a cup
Add twice as much Benedryl as gel
Add twice as much Mylanta as gel
Add 20cc of water & mix all contents

Take 1/2 to 1 tsp by mouth, swish & swallow every 2-3 hours as needed for pain

YES - we just got over it a week ago. My oldest (4) brought it home and was the worst off - vomiting everything. He was sick, then fine for 24 hours, then sick again. I got it pretty bad, but was just nauseous - I didn't eat for almost 5 days (one would think I would have lost some weight - LOL.) My younger kids got it, but just had diarrhea. I don't think my husband ever got it, he never said anything if he did. It lasted about 5-6 days for all of us, but we have not had a recurrance. I got all my kids on pedialite to help keep dehydration at bay and that worked very well (pedialite pops too.) Walgreens has their brand that is significantly cheaper, but the exact same stuff. Also used a BRAT diet - bananas, rice, apples, tea (weak.) Saltines, gingerale, etc. My best friend's family is going through it now and I know two other families that have been affected by it.
Good luck - it is a bad one.
oh yeah - and none of us ever ran a fever.

K.,

My 2 1/2 month old came home from her first week at daycare with this bug and everyone in our family got it! I asked my Pedi if she could get this again and the answer was a definite NO! It is possible there is a different strain going around. It also took my girl about 2 weeks to get over it. Hope this helps!

Prevention: Wash hands as soon as you enter your home. Keep a bottle of hand wash in your automobile/office drawer/purse. As soon as you get in your car, wash your hands..etc.

Clean home door knobs, telephone receivers, bathroom sink/tub knobs with cleanser. Change your bed linens frequently...

Stand in each room of your home and spray lysol into the air.

I get it about twice a year for some reason, they say it's gastritis. No one else in the family gets it but me. Not sure why.

yeah, I have heard so many moms and babies/kids having it. We're trying our best to avoid it...just keep everything extra sanitized in your house right now so you don't keep reinfecting each other. I hate this stuff!

YES!

Husband and I both got it Monday night but were done with all the spewage by Tuesday evening. Our daughter has had a couple of explosive diapers, I am not sure quite what that is.

Interesting facts about viruses is that once you have had them (except for the common cold), you often are immune from the same virus for a while if not forever. So once you have had it, you should be done for the season, just try not to prepare food, etc. until you have been over it for a day or two and wash hands like crazy. Usually when I feel better I do a giant clean/disinfect of the house and open the windows to let the bugs out.

A good rule of thumb as to when all should be clear is like the daycare rule of illness-stay out of school until at least 24 hours have passed since any vomiting, diarrhea, or fever...the same holds true for going out to play with friends, visiting people, etc.

Second interesting fact about viral gastroenteritis (viruses that cause vomiting and diarrhea) is that often, children will appear to have gotten over it and then within a week will have a small re-lapse like one or two watery stools. That's the body's way of making sure all of the bugs are getting out of there. Nothing to worry about but if she goes into having frequent diarrhea, fever, etc., likely you have a different bug on your hands.

1 / 3