Stomach Aches from Milk

My six-year-old son, who has always loved milk, is getting stomach aches these days when he drinks it -- not every time, but often, and particularly when I give him his favorite drink -- vanilla milk. He says that the stomach aches usually happen pretty soon after snack time at school, when he drinks the organic milk box that I send. He doesn't appear to have other symptoms. Could this be a sign of an allergy or lactose intolerance? I'm a bit confused because he eats other dairy products without complaint and he rarely complains about stomach aches when he has a bit of milk at home. Any ideas?

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your responses!! It sounds like the collective wisdom is that my son is probably lactose intolerant -- and not terribly so. I will take your advice and have him bring non-dairy beverages to school (especially Very Vanilla Silk, which I just went out and bought!). If we don't see improvement, I'll take him in to see if there's a milk allergy or some other GI issue. Thank you so much again for all the great advice!

Have you tried sending him to school with a different kind of milk box? I'm wondering if it is something with the drink you are giving him. Even if he has had them successfully in the past, it could be something with the batch you have now if it has just been recent. Have they all been from the same case or however they come?

my friend had the same thing happen with her daughter...she would get "sick" (tummy ache, bad gas)after drinking vanilla milk. maybe it is a particular ingredient in the vanilla milk...b/c like your son, Kayla ate other dairy items without a problem. just a thought

Buy 'very vanilla soy milk'. He'll love it, it tastes like a vanilla milk shake!!! :)

He is probably developing lactose intolerance.
I was intolerant, then not, then I was again for a few years after I gave birth to my children, now I'm no again. Believe it or not he can grow into and out of it. I do not understand why that is but that has been my experience. Try getting lactaid pills, or milk (I don't like the way it tastes), but the pills will enable him to be able to eat whatever he wants. Good luck K.

Hi L., if the milk gives him a stomach ache don't give it to him. I have the same problem. I can eat ice cream, cheese and other dairy products but I can't drink milk. One of my children is the same way. You will have to find other ways for him to get his calcium intake though. I would mention it to your doctor and see what he suggests.

It could be an allergy or a sesitivity and it doesn't have to be the lactose it could be one or all parts of the milk that he is having issue with. It could also be a sign of IBS. I have IBS and dairy is one of my trigger foods. There are some cheeses that bother me and some that do not so for me I think it is more about the whey then the lactose.

If I were you I would cut all dairy out of your sons diet for about a week and then slowy reintroduce it back in and see how he does. If he has a bad reaction then you know he has an issue with it and should most likely avoid it.

I wish you the best

I just went threw this with my 11 year old,and I would consider
a visit with your family doctor.We found out threw many differant tests that my daughter has IBS irretal bowel syndrome.She is now on medicane for this and is her old self.Ittook us months before our diagnosis, I hope this helps,and of course plenty of Hugs and Kisses help. Along with proper diet.The mediction is called Hyoscyamine. We are down to an as needed basis,which is not to often. Good luck.
E. K.

i would talk to his dr about it, but there is a possibility of having problems with only certain dairy products. i can drink as much milk as i want (i drink skim only though, because anything thicker then skim, including skim plus, is just too much on my stomach) i can have a ton of sour cream, or cream cheese, but god forbid i have anymore then a drop of ricotta cheese i feel like i'm dying (which means i have to avoid one of my favorite meals at all costs) and if i have too much ice cream, then i hurt...now, it's not nearly as bad as the ricotta, but it's painful. yet i can have all those other dairy products with no problems. so there is that possibility of just having to cut down on milk, maybe try changing it to skim milk (or 2%, then 1% until you see what doesn't bother him). i would try that, or maybe just talk to the dr. 1st. good luck.

Does his tummy get really full and distended? I am lactose intolerant and that is what happens to me. My stomach literally fills with painful gas and takes a couple of hours to feel better. I would check with your pediatrician just to make sure, because it could be symptoms of something else, good luck!
L. R.

1 / 3