Stinky Mattress

Hi everyone! I wanted to know if there is a way to "wash" a stinky mattress. My 3 little ones have peed on it while I change their diapers and they have also thrown up on it, so it smells nasty. Please help, I can't stand the smell anymore. If I could buy a new mattress I would, but I can't afford it rigth now.

They make allergy proof/waterproof covers that encase the entire mattress. You could just trap the smell inside until you can buy a new one.

hi you can use borax in the laundry dept... it gives you instructions on the box.. good luck..DON'T MIX LYSOL AND BLEACH!!!! This will cause a gas and make you all sick... be careful.. S.

I've got lots of experience with this one--lol. First, make sure that your kiddos drink plenty water, so it's not too, too bad. Let the mattress air out by removing the bedding and putting a fan over it. You can use ammonia/soap (dish or laundry detergent) to scrub the surface of the mattress. Let it dry. Then follow up by rubbing in some baking soda. Rub it in like you're rubbing powder into your baby's back. (Don't do that, by the way, the powder on your baby.) Let it breathe and air out. If possible, fix a pallet for your children to sleep on while the mattress is being "treated" (or some alternative sleeping place). Once it's all dry, purchase a plastic/rubber mattress cover (the kind that encloses the entire thing and has a zipper) from WalMart and cover that mattress!

Try a steam cleaner with an attachment. It should help - along with some frebreeze or something like that.....

good luck!

When my son has had an accident in our bed I've used the Clorox Anywhere spray on it. I know it took out the stain and I'm pretty sure it took out the odor also.

Bac-Out by Bio Kleen (sold at Whole Foods) is the best deodorizer I have ever used, it also can remove stains. There are many other uses for it too. The diaper pail, the trash cans, litter boxes, ice chests, I even wiped out the bottom of our tent last weekend with it. It also is great deodorizer for the laundry.

Blessings,

Hi! I don't know what size your mattress is, but if you watch the mattress firm stores and others, they often have specials on foam twin mattresses.. I just got one for $40. And it is super firm and very comfortable.. just wanted to let you know that there were some deals out there.. good luck!

I agree with the enzyme cleaner idea 100%. Our freezer defrosted thawing chicken and an entire bag of ice that leaked under the wall behind the freezer into the dining room. I used the enzyme cleaner for pets...it is kind of expensive, but then I used a steam cleaner and I never got a smell or anything. I would look and see if you could rent a steam cleaner with the furniture attachment, or call a company to come out...they usually have attachments for furniture, etc. and they may not be that expensive if you just tell them what you need. After you get that taken care of, get yourself a waterproof crib pad or waterproof cover for the mattress to prevent the problem in the future. Remember if you are using products or water on the matress to take it outside or put fans on it to dry it...don't put sheets back on till it is dry or you will get mildew or mold in it! Good luck. H.

1 / 3