Stinky Diaper Pail

I have been using a Diaper Champ since my son was born 10 1/2 months ago. I have tried spray disinfectant and deodorizers. I have washed it with bleach and let it air out for a day. I've tried "odor control" plastic bags inside. The pail still stinks really strongly and makes his whole nursery an unpleasant place to breathe. Does anyone have a method to remove odor from diaper pails? Has the smell permeated it so deeply that I have to ditch it and buy a new one? Are there any diaper pails out there that actually stay stench free? Thank you all for your advice.

When I put a rally stinky dirty diaper in my sons' diaper pail, I just open the window for a little bit, until the room smells fresh again. Empty it regularly (every night if need be), and wash it out when it needs it, and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Baking soda also works at eliminating odors.

I too have the Diaper GenieII...and I love it. We ONLY use it for the poopie diapers and after 16 months, no smell! We actually keep it in the kitchen next to the reguler garbage can and no oder! The bags it uses are great oder trappers!

My son is almost 17 months and we've had the Diaper Genie II and have never once has an odor issue. If you do decide to toss the Diaper Champ you may want to go for the Diaper Genie II.

I have a 14 month old and we've used the Diaper Genie II since he was born. I've had to smelly problems with it. Yes, it smells when you open it to dump the full bag, but it goes away quick.

We have had a diaper dekor for a long time now - - and have not had this problem.

I do try to, doesn't always happen, drop the poop in the toilet before I dump the diaper in the dekor. We also change bags every other day.

It's not the diaper pail, it's the diapers. I went through the same thing myself. Then I finally started throwing the poopy diapers directly in the outside trash.

I've found that the best way to stop the smell is to empty the poop from the diaper into the toilet before disposing of the diaper. As an added smell barrier, you can put the diapers into individual bags (babysrus sells them) before putting them into diaper pails. To remove the smell from the diaper pail, put baking soda overnight in the pail when there are no poopy diapers in it.

The other alternative as a poster has already mentioned, is to dispose of the emptied soiled diaper in the generic (kitchen) trash can. If this trash can is emptied frequently enough, there is no smell at all. We empty ours 2 to 3 times a week when the trash can gets full of other garbage.

we stick a extra strength renuzit solid in the pail and one in the same room plus wrap each diaper in a grocery store plastic bag before dropping in the pail. believe me it helps.

Wehave been using the Neat! System from First Years for over three years now and there is NO smell at all. We have really loved having this system since everyone else I know has had trouble with smells etc but not us. I am not sure you can still buy it but one that sort of replaced it is the Diaper GenieII. Its the closest thing to the Neat! system. Good luck, I know how badly they can smell and it makes you feel like the nursery is not as clean as it really is!

I ditched my diaper pail after a few months for the same reason. I opted not to spend any more money on another pail and I just throw pee diapers in lined trash can and throw out after 2-3 days (surprisingly it doesn't smell but maybe that's because it can breath) and I throw poop diapers outside right away.

Dear M.,

This may be something that you've already heard, but here goes my experience. When my first child was born, I tried the Diaper Genie (which was the "it" item at the time). It seemed like no matter how frequently I emptied it, or how much I cleaned it, it reaked to high heaven. So I ditched the whole thing, and now I just put all diapers into scented diaper bags. They can usually be found at your local dollar store, or if not then Toys R Us usually carries them. Since our garbage can gets emptied daily, the scent never gets a chance to get out of the bag and linger. I don't know if this helps you at all, but I'm now on baby number three and the diaper bags or "stinky bags" as my boys call them, have worked for me.

1 / 3