Stinky Deep Freeze!

I need to know how to get the stink out of a deep freeze. My hubby's grandfather last summer accidentely left the freezer unplugged for a week before he realized it. It was full of meat. All of the rotten meat has been disposed of and has left a horrible smell. Grandpa has put coal briquets in it to help but it doesn't seem to be working. Does anybody know of anything else to use to clear out the rotten smell? Or do we just give up and junk the Deep freeze?

Thanks MOMS! I am going to try each and every method given to me if I get to the bottom of the list and it still stinks then I will get rid of it but I am gonna try to destink the stinky deep freeze. Thanks again ladies. I will let you know if it works :)

I saw on Rachael Ray that you can wet crumpled newspaper and place it in there to absorb the smell. I haven't tried it in a freezer, but it worked in my fridge.

I had a similar problem a few years ago... I emptied the freezer... doused the thing in Clorox then proped the lid and let it air dry... after that, I put baking soda on about 5 or 10 paper plates (to absorb the odor) and put them inside the freezer with the lid closed for about a week. This did the trick for my freezer... hope it helps.

hi there;
try scrubbubg it with baking soda..then fill a big sock with foldgers coffee,,,just leave it in there...sounds crazy but it works..L. B

Try some lemons cut in half on a plate and some baking soda. It seemed to work for us in a similar situation. Good Luck

You could try baking/bicarbonate soda, lots of it. Same thing happened to friend. She sprayed the inside with plain water so all the sides were just damp, then sprinkled about three packets of soda over the top so it stuck to the dampness, then left it for a couple of days, with it turned off but open. The soda dried out and tuned powdery again. She then brushed/wiped it all out and then did a final wipe over with vanilla essence. Seemed to do the trick. Good luck!

Same thing happened to us a couple of Summer's ago. (So yucky huh?!!!) Turns out that the stink that wouldn't go away after scrub, scrub, scrubbing was the tray that slides underneath the deep freeze. It's like a drip tray and it was full of blood from the incident and was just rotting away! See if you have one of those. It could be the source of your stink. Good luck!!

You could try washing it out with 1 gal warm water + 1/4 cup of borax to deodorize. Let it dry completely before closing and plugging in again. After that the coal briquets would work to keep it smelling fresh. Also, bleach is a very effective tool, or you could try Sol-u-mel from Melaleuca, which kills any odor, but smells odd at first and takes some getting used to...you also have to be a member in order to get it. I'd start with the borax and then work my way up. In the meantime, leave the door open to let it air out and keep it unplugged so you don't waste energy.

You'll probably need to do a serious of things. Try doing a deep clean with vinegar and water, let it air out for a while, then use baking soda to absorb odor, another clean, and then try leaving ground coffee in the freezer for a while. Not only will it absorb odor, but it will replace it with something much more palatable....and if you've thoroughly cleaned the freezer then you won't just be "covering up" the smell.

Make a baking soda paste and rub all over the inside of the freezer; let it set 24 hours or so and wash it all out. If it is still smelly, follow this cleaning up with some bleach water. This should take it out.

1 / 3