Stinky Boy Odor

At about what age do boys start to wear deoderant? My son just turned 9 and is stinky. He takes a shower everyday no matter what and wears clean clothes but at times he has this stinky boy smell about him that is kinda musky and coming from somewhere upperbody but I cannot pin point it. It is ewe and we have talked to him about making sure he gets clean in the shower instead of playing and my husband has even monitored him at different times in the shower to make sure everything is getting clean. It doesn't seem like it is everyday but he gets upset if you tell him he stinks or needs to clean better. I don't want him to be self-contious and I believe him when he says he cleaned everything. I am totally stumped on this. Has anyone else experiences this type of thing? Does he need deoderant at this age or could it be something else?

Yes, 2 of my 3 guys were using deod. by 9 or 10. The other one by 11---it took him a little longer to get stinky.

Not ant-perspirant, but deod. We were designed to perspire and from what I have read, trying to stop that is not good.

H A K
some little boys start to use deodorant around age 9 or 10- it is not a big deal- just let him use something mild as he get his shower and he will most likely find out that others his age or in his class are doing the same- it makes them feel so "grown up".........
good luck and blessings

Yes - it's time for deodorant!

If you've not talked with him about changes his body is going through as well as upcoming changes, it's time to do so.

American Girl has a book for girls called All About Me. I believe they've also written one for boys. It's an easy ready for the child and is easy for parent's to engage in conversation on various topics with the child while reading the book together.

Kids are maturing faster these days. Both my boys had this problem by 9 and I got them both deodorant by 10. I was shocked that both boys admitted getting pubic hair by 10 as well. I started buying them more "grown up" products also that had more scent to them like axe body wash and spray with the deodorant.

Yes - it's time for deodorant!

Boys are stinkier than girls at an earlier age. My oldest is almost 9 and wears deordorant. His little brother is 5 and wears it too. I bought them the Old Spice stuff and a bottle of cologne. It is never to early to teach them good hygiene. I tell my boys that a girl/woman likes a boy/man that smells good. It has helped with the whole bathing argument too. CB

My son is 10 yrs old.. Actually 11 today.. He has to wear deodorant as well.. If he doesnt wear it, you can smell him all the way across the room. He even bought some spray cologne from the store to use as well.. Something axe makes.. To help cover up what deodorant doesnt. Hope this helps you :)

Hi AK,

My youngest which is now 12 he started to be stinky when he was 9. I got him mitchum it works, the gel kind. Some boys start earlier than others but thats the way nature intended it to be so you have to go with the flow of things. It just means he is growing. Thats all you really can do. I just handed my son the stuff and said you need to use this after you get out of the shower, before you put clothes on and before you go to bed. I still have to remind him once in awhile hey put some stuff on please and change shirts. lol...Good luck and don't worry it will be alright :) and all will work out :)

yes its time for his own high jean stuff my son is 14 by 9 i was buying him his own smell good stuff its that time mama i know we hate to think of are babys growing up..i wish yall well thanks jessica

Try the deodorant. My daughter started wearing it at 9. She rides horses and comes in very sweaty and stinky, BO stinky. Deodorant helps.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

boys clothes deodorant stinky