Still Producing Milk After 5 Months of Not B-feeding

I stopped breastfeeding my daughter around christmas time 07. It is now May 08 and although they dont feel engorged or anything like that, my breasts still have milk in them. Its different than when i had breastfeed-maybe like a colostrum. They dont hurt or ache but I would like them to dry up for good. I have heard of the cabbage leaves but havent tried it and really dont have time or want to smell like cabbage. I thought that they would dry up on their own eventually but it has been over 5 months!! Any suggestions??? anyone else had an experience like this before??

I also produced milk LONG after I stopped breastfeeding and I found out I had a small tumor called a prolacteoma in my brain. It can be diagnosised with blood work and an MRI. It is not cancer. But it produces prolactin which is the hormone that causes you to lactate. I take (well am suppose to take) medicine daily and it shrinks the tumor. From my understanding it never really goes away and if left unattended can lead to seizures and strokes. My aunt experienced strokes from hers before they found it. I would definitly get it checked out just for the sake of your health!

For the first couple of years after I had my children, I could still squeeze milk out of my nipples!!!!!!!!!

I know this is no help to you but I thought it was funny. I never breast fed at all but for several months after having him, all he had to do was cry and my boobs would start leaking immiediately. His cry was like turning on a faucet... THats mother nature for ya

It's normal to leak after brestfeeding. I have a two yr old and still can get milk. Pepsi does great for drying you out. It worked for me when I had my first one.

I haven't breast fed since August of 07 and I STILL leak! If I don't wear a bra to bed I wake up w/ huge wet spots on the front of my shirt. It's so irksome! I was told by my GYN that lactating up to 6 months after stopping breastfeeding is considered normal. Anything after that is abnormal...whatever that means! They did some boodwork on me to measure my thyroid and hormone levels. Perhaps you could speak to your GYN and see if they have any other suggestions. I've heard the same thing about cabbage leaves, but I've never tried them. Someone else said something about Sudafed or an antihistamine, but I'm really leary against taking medicine just to dry up my bbs. And the dr said it's not recommended.

I think cabbage leaves are to relieve engorgment but I may be wrong.

I have heard of moms having milk for as long as 2 years after they stop nursing. I guess it takes just as long for it to go away as it was there.

You are fine. I have been producing milk for over 9 years now though not enough to feed my kids for more than a few months. Doctors aren't sure exactly why but do say that this decreases my chance of breast cancer so it's just 1 of those little quirks that I live with. I don't leak or anything. The only time I notice it is when I lay on my tummy or do something that causes just the right pressure. It is, if not normal, then acceptable for this kind of thing to happen. Accept and move on or ask your doc for options to stop the production. I've never been given any suggestions for stopping it and honestly, it isn't so much of a bother. If I can reduce the risk of cancer without to much fuss, I'm gonna go for it. Hope this helps relieve your mind some. Believe me, if producing milk for so long was all bad, I'd be dead by now.

You could try Parsley (the herb form in a capsule). This dried me up w/i a couple days.

1 / 3