Steroids for Fetal Lung Development?

The goods new is the baby is healthy and above average in weight, however, the drs. are quite certain I will have an early csection, due to complications/high risk and have talked about giving me steroids to speed up the baby's lung development (I A. 29.5 weeks right now). If you were given steroids to speed up lung development, can you tell me what the experience was like? Any side effects for the baby (or you)? I really do understand that this is for the benefit of the baby, in the event he comes early, it gives him the best chance of survival without assistance, however, I would also like to be educated on side effects, so that I A. aware.

Hey A. : )

Congratulations on the little one! It is great that the baby is healthy, that is the most important thing!

I had steroids for lung development 24 years ago, when my little one was 20-28 weeks old. We managed to develop them enough that there were no major problems! He was born at 28-1/2 weeks! There were no complications for either of us with the steroids. My son was so young, he took a while to complete his lung development, and his very early birth led to delayed development. We were very lucky that there were no other complications, as he was in oxygen for a long time before he stabilized.

Good news is, he is healthy, is rarely ill, is 6 ft. 2 inches now, and a great young man at 24 years old.

Hope everything goes as well for you!

Hello, i slowly began leaking amniotic fluid @ 31 weeks, so they hospitalized me with bed rest. They knew baby would be early from this, and gave me a shot of steroids in the rump (: It was fine, just felt like a horse! My baby was born at 32 weeks, weighing 4.3lbs. She never needed any assistance with breathing. I do not know if that was due to the shot or not. She stayed in ICU for only a week (a sweet miracle) and was home. She never had any repitory issues. She is now 9 years old, and wonderful. Congrats on a baby, very exciting.

Eleven years ago, I was on 6 weeks of bedrest (before wireless internet!! Ack!) from about 29 to almost 36 weeks of pregnancy. I was given a steroid shot at some point -- can't remember when and had to inject myself with tributaline (since then, no longer recommended). After all that drama, my son was born at around 37 weeks and was fine. Now he's 11 and a super athlete, so clearly his lungs are fine.
One unsolicited tip -- if you know that you'll be delivering before 36 weeks, which is around when fetuses develop their suckling skills, talk to a lactation consultant now about nursing preemies, see if you can meet a mom with experience, perhaps line up a breast pump rental...all while your baby is still super portable in your belly! :) Good luck!

Hello...
I had two steroid shots with one of my pregnancies. Other than the fact the steroid shots hurt more than most other shots, there was no noticeable side effects at all. Don't be worried about it. My shots were given in the bum, and they stung/burned a bit. They must have worked, because my baby had full lung capacity and growth at birth.

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

I had a steroid shot at 30 weeks because I went into preterm labor and they were concerned the lungs would not be fully developed if I delivered. I don't recall any side effects for either one of us. Just soreness at the injection site...it hurt :( Anyways, he was born healthy at 34 weeks. Good luck to you and your new little one.

Not to scare you or anything, but being a NICU nurse before kids, I got to see a lot of the little ones who didn 't have time to get the steroids and their hospital course was always much longer, more precarious, and they sometimes ended up with long-term effects. These long term effects include scarring in their lungs which can make them more prone to lung infections and respiratory problems (serious asthma-like stuff) throughout their life. They will NOT necessarily outgrow the scarring.
Before I was a mom, I thought that this stuff was an accepted hazard of having a premature baby, but having sick little ones - even with just the plain old runny nose/cough stuff - is bad enough. Permanent breathing issues must be a nightmare for the parents as well as the kids. If I was making the choice, I would go for the steroids regardless of any side effects to save my little guy from any illness I could. Just my opinion though.
:-)
Jen

I had to have 2 shots of steriods with my last pregancy for lung development. I started having contractions at 24 weeks and with my history of having my babies early, my dr suggested the shots to be sure his lungs were developed when he did finally come. I went to the hospital and they layed me on a bed and gave me the shot in my hip. It hurt like hell, I will be completly honest, but after the shot, I was fine. My leg only hurt during the shot. Well worth it! My son came 3 weeks early and he was very healthy!

I didn't have any problems at all with the shot...only that it stung for a little bit. It's perfectly safe!

Hi A. - I was given 2 shots of steroids for fetal lung development as I had preclampsia/toximia and the Doctors were concerned of me having an early birth. The shots were give in the thigh or butt. I thought the shot was very painful. I still felt pain after the shot was given but was told this was normal. Other than that I had no side effects or problems. I ended up having and emergency c-section at 32 weeks. My daughter was born at 3 lbs and her lungs were functioning good. She was in the NICU for a month and was breathing on her own. So I believe that the steroids helped. Hope this was helpful to you. I wish you and your baby all the best!

1 / 3