Stay at Home Mom Anxiety

Hi! I am a new Mom (33 years old). I just quit my job a month ago and am staying home full time with my 5 1/2 month old baby girl. Just the last couple of weeks I have been feeling extreme anxiety. I can't tell if it's from being a new Mom, having baby need me all the time, changing my life after working at a job for 10 years, just being stuck at home most of the time without a schedule. I feel so guilty for feeling such anxiety around the baby and the fact that I should be happy about my new living situation getting to be at home all day with my baby. My question is: Am I the only one going through this??? I keep feeling that I'm the only Mom who has gone through this. Will it ever end??
Your comments are appreciated!

I appreciate all of your replys! This is such a blessing to connect with other Moms.... I took the advice of Sarah K and went to the postpardom websight. I am waiting for a reply to see if I can get some help. I know that this too shall pass and that with the Lord Jesus I can do all things! I really thank all of you and if anyone else has any more wisdom to share I am still checking the posts!!

I haven't read the other posts but something that has helped me organize my days is having a weekly list that is broken down by days with things like clean bathrooms, vacuum, clean out fridge, laundry, etc. I only have about two items per day so it is not overwhelming. I am not a big cleaner but it helps me get things done. I also have a monthly list of deep cleaning items that get done every six months. Again there are only two projects per month but you could do more depending on how busy you like to be.

I went throught the exact same thing at 32! (its only a few months later). It was a big shift to stay at home, and it was hard because the baby is totally dependant on you. Sometimes I did not feel like wanting to be home. I actually ended up getting on anti depression meds recommended by my OB, I am on a very low dose, but it really helped, I now very much enjoy being a stay at home mom (most days!) I love watching my seven month old grow. I have a lot of friends who just had babies...and its so common to feel this way...no one tells you before hand! a lot has to do with hormones....

You are not alone girl! Being a SAHM is so hard. Not that being a working mom isnt. But when you stay home it's like you ____@____.com so hard to find the right balance between spending time with your child, quality time, keeping up with the housework, cooking, and still being your person aside from mommy homemaker and wife. I became a SAHM when I was 31. I had always worked and been very independent, spent my own money, and felt very strong and able. Becoming "incomeless" is hard. While it's "our" money soetimes it doesnt feel like that. And now that I have two babies, I feel like I NEVER get time to myself. My hair has been in a wet, messy bun for a year now LOL. I always struggle with wanting time alone and wanting to be with them, wanting to be myself but always wanting to be their mommy too. You're totally normal, don't beat yourself up. Take a breath and realize you're now doing the hardest job you ever could. But the most rewarding!

You just had a baby 51/2 months ago - your anxiety is normal - and not just because you are a SAHM. Your body is still changing - your hormone levels don't return to "normal" until almost a year after birth of a child. Even working Moms are experiencing anxiety at this stage. Just remember to eat right, try to get enough rest and exercise (before hubby leaves for work in the morning is best time) and know this is just a phase after childbirth that you will get through soon.

The beauty of work is you know what you need to do. Do A, B, and C and we pay you X. If you do really well you get a bonus.

Motherhood has no such structure. Do A, B, and C with one child may put the child in therapy where another flurishes. Just forget about that bonus if you get anything it is the grief that teens will give you. Way way in the end, when your child marries, or not, and has a child your bonus is that they think you did a good job and raise their child the same way.

Will it end? Yeah they move out, then they have kids and drop them off at your house and it starts over.

I think this is a very common feeling. But what you need to try to determine is how much anxiety are you feeling and is your level of anxiety "normal." That of course is a very tough and somewhat subjective answer. In the mental health field one of the cut offs from healthy to unhealthy feelings/actions is the effect it has on your day-to-day life. Is your anxiety consuming you? Is it stopping you from participating in fun daily activities with your child? Does it interfere with your daily life? Does it overrule your general sense of well-being and happiness?
There are some reputable websites you can go to and read about postpartum issues and seek support. If you feel your symptoms are excessive you should talk to your doctor or a counselor to see what can be done to help you. It is a tough transition and you shouldn't have to do it alone, seek out support and help.
http://psychotherapy.com/mom.html
http://www.postpartum.net/
I wish you the best.

The walls are closing in on me as I type- I know how you feel.

Make a schedule for yourself. Like, clean the bathroom on Monday, kitchen on Tuesday, pay bills on Wed, etc. It gives me a sense of accomplishment giving myself things to do by a certain date/time (I work from home).

Get out! Your little one is too young to see the world like you do (that will change when she gets a little older, kids REALLY re-open your eyes!) but go to the park or take a walk down the street, and make mental lists of things you'd like her to experience as she gets older, like little things you appreciate... like a child playing with their puppy, a bird perched just so in a windowbox, whatever catches your eye. It will make you remember that there IS a world outside of the normal mundane routine ;)

Once you get into a nice schedule between YOUR life and the baby, you'll feel better. You'll get there, I promise :)

I think most mothers have anxiety with babies. Most mothers with new babies need more rest than they're getting, and that is an anxiety-maker in itself.

You have both a new baby AND a new job (SAHM) and it's a challenge. Women who were full-time homemakers before their babies arrived have adjustment challenges as well. You have lots and lots (and lots) of company.

What will help? If you liked to work on a schedule in your former job, make a schedule, but a different kind. You know what you need to do; you just are not sure when you can get it done. But write a list of things you will TRY to do today. Put one load of laundry through the washer and dryer every day. Get outside every day with your baby - grocery shopping, walking around the block, any excuse to get some sunshine and fresh air. Put playtime with baby on your schedule. Put get-your-feet-up-for-ten-minutes on your schedule (it MIGHT happen). You want to adjust your type of planning to the work environment you're in.

When you're homemaking, what seem to be puny little things (that load of laundry, for instance, or a stack of dishes) add up to big things when you've done them. Don't discount the "little stuff" you are doing.

Do you feel more comfortable with some sort of mission statement? Then write one. You may want to revise it over time. It might help you to know just what your objective is, not just where you are now.

Don't try to make yourself feel happy. Your ARE happy to have your little one. The rest of it is a job that is new to you. You're learning how to meet the challenges, and after a while you'll come to enjoy the benefits.

You are not alone and your feelings are normal. What helped me the most was going somewhere every day. I would go to Target or the mall or the park or the library just to get out of the house. It gave me a reason to take a shower every day! Once my babies were on a regular sleep schedule (about 6 months of age), our days were more predictable and scheduled. Do a few morning chores and shower during baby's morning nap, then go out for an hour or two, make lunch, fold laundry and watch Ellen during baby's afternoon nap (or take a nap yourself!) My other advice is to try to meet other moms with little ones. Strike up a conversation at the park or the library... it can be lonely to not have another adult to talk to all day! Also, find a hobby that you enjoy doing. I like to do digital scrapbooking and now that my kids are older (6 and 3) I take a kickboxing class twice per week for some "me" time. You will get through this stage... best wishes!

I felt like that...I also had PPD lol! I do think that part of it is being out of our normal funk! It is hard to go from working with others who can do their own thing to a baby who can't do anything lol! No more alone time! No more showers without wondering what the baby is doing or can you finish before the baby wakes up lol!

It is a big change!!! I have a friend who stopped working when her kids were 3 and 2 and she also went thru this feeling!! So I guess it wasn't all PPD! It just takes some time to adjust!

Humor helped me alot! I stopped watching all serious or sad movies and only funny shows! If I couldn't laugh then I knew I had a problem and had to get out! ALONE!! I wish you luck! It does get better! I swear the first six or seven months are the worst! Once the baby starts self entertaining it picks up speed and they rush into toddlers!! They run around get into EVERYTHING and communicate so much better!! My favorite age is around ten months thru 30 months!! Once they get to 3 a whole new attitude takes over and the "terrible twos" are nothing!! lol!

1 / 3