Starting Kindergarten - Monson,MA

My 5 almost 6 yr old is starting kindergarten next Tuesday and keeps telling me he is scared. I tried to tell him that it's ok to be scared, but that it will be fun and they have 3 playgrounds at the school. Throughout the day he will come give me a hug and tell me he's scared. It breaks my heart. I just try to be positive and tell him not to worry and will mention the bus and who will be on it, but I'm running out of things to say. Any advice/comments. Thanks Mamas--M. W.

My son also is starting Tuesday. IF you are from Lincoln, and plan to attend the "meet the teacher" event Friday, ask around for Jimmy's mom. We will introduce them to oneanother and hope all goes well from there.
however, if you are not from Lincoln, make friends with another mom asap and work the same way.
in my opinion, that would work great! best wishes.

Oh how I was in the same place last year! A great piece of advice a friend gave me - was to find a flat rock (I guess you could use anything - but we found some at the beach over the summer) and on one side we wrote my daughter's name and the other side we wrote "mommy". I told her to hold on to it when ever see felt scared (on the bus). Well we both rubbed the rock as we waited on day one for the bus. By day two - she said - let's just leave it in my backpack - I'm all set!!! If not a rock - maybe something special you could buy him like a key chain or small stuffed animal?? It's hard getting to the first day - but hopefully after a few days he will adjust and have a blast! Good luck!!!!!!

M.,

Any chance you can take him to the school now, show him his classroom, the building and such? Seeing everything with you by his side and knowing his is just there for a look may help.

L. M

have you taken him on atour of the school to meet his teacher and see the school?? Do that.. call the office and ask when you can come.. that may help.. try to find out if any of his friends will be in his class too..

Has he visited the school? Maybe you can call and ask if he can come and see his classroom, etc.

Tell him it is ok to be scared, everyone feels that way when they are starting something new.

I would just keep focusing on the positive and having fun getting ready for school--school supplies and clothes, etc. Try to walk him through his school day--where he will go and what he will do, sometimes the teacher will do this. Show him the school,have him meet as many kids as possible in his class, and his teachers.

I had to do this for my daughter, she gets very nervous with new experiences and the more she can see and plan out ahead of time, the less anxious and more she feels in control and can handle things. I have to do it less and less as she gets older, she has learned to do these things for herself.

I agreee with the other posters--you need to tell him it is ok and normal to be nervous, all the kids will be. You just need to model coping behaviors to him and remain un-phased by his nervousness--he is looking to you to see if he should be scared. Good luck. :)

Hi, M.--
So funny, I am sitting here and about an hour ago I just put my son on the bus for his first day of kindergarten! This is my first experience as well, and our sons are the same ages (6 in Oct). He was scared as well... but did just fine. He got on the bus and off he went! There are so many emotions (for us moms, too) that they are feeling, but once they get over this "hump" they will love it! Take it from a former kindergarten teacher, that first month or so can be rough---but, honestly, it was rare/never that I had a child who truly didn't LOVE kindergarten. Keep being positive, he'll get through it and absolutely love it. (I found that the orientation really helped, just to familiarize with the teacher, space and friends.) Good luck!

Let him bring a family picture with him. This worked great with our oldest. He was excited about school, but was afraid of the bus ride. He clenched that family picture every day for like a month until it was all wrinkled. But it helped him a lot! And put a note in his lunch box, "Mommy loves you" or whatever, to remind him that you're thinking of him. Good luck!

you might want to take him to the school for a tour and look around before the first day. ask if he can see the bus/sit on it with you for a few minutes also before the first day. teachers are usually in the classroom a day or so before the kids so maybe you can go then. have a 'trial run' of getting ready for school at home. plan a celebration of sorts for when he gets home the first day. good luck!

The only things I want to add are:

Kindergarten is about more than playgrounds - let him know there will be some structured activities too, in the classroom, and he's not gonig to be stuck there all day trying to figure out what to do.

Also, tell him you talked to all us moms, and that our kids were scared too and did well. Tell him some things other kids liked.

If he hasn't visited the school or seen his classroom, call the school - almost all schools have some open door days when incoming students can visit their classroom, meet their teacher, find out where the bus will drop them off and where they will go, etc.

If you haven't, can you take him to the school in advance so that he can see where he will be? The teacher will most likely be there setting up. If this isn't possible, all I can say is that he will not be the only one scared and the teacher will be prepared.

1 / 3