Starting Gluten Free Diet for a 6 Year Old

I have lived with Celiac disease since I was a baby and I don't mind it because I didn't know any different. Now my daughter, 6 years old, has been diagnosed as well. I am now in need of good ideas for "kid-foods" that are glutenfree, especially foods for lunch at school. All the foods/snacks she enjoys contain gluten. I need all the help/advice I can get!

Hi N.,
Have you checked out Homemade Gourmet for gluten free ideas? You can see all the available mixes that are gluten free as well as recipes. Visit my website - www.homemadegourmet.com/janice1680 - you can order on line and have mixes shipped directly to you or you can contact me and I will be glad to ship to you directly.
Thanks and have fun searching the website - there are alot of new recipe ideas in the new Key to the Kitchen portion of the HG website. To find gluten free recipes, first click on recipes, then Recipe Search then Lifestyle Needs will take you to the gluten free recipes.

Go to www.hacres.com and ask about their cook books for kids. It is a wonderful resource for healthy foods and healthy living.
V. B.

We haven't tried anything from Enjoy Life that we don't truly enjoy! (cinnamon granola, chocolate bars, candy, pizza crust mix, etc.)

Other ideas:
-popcorn
-gluten-free prepared snack crackers & chips abound - check out central market & even kroger has a good selection now
-Lay's STAX chips
-cups of applesauce
-carrots
-Nana's cookies
-Namaste cupcakes or brownies (at gatherings of extended family, these pass off as "regular" and taste great!)

Bon appétit!

Whole foods has a huge inventory of stuff for that. There are bread mixes, brownie and cookies mixes and all sorts of stuff. It will be a trial and error thing. Sometimes the stuff won't taste the same, but keep offering it until she finds something she likes.

Sprouts Farmers Market has a free booklet called Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free guide. Very helpful suggestions for things kiddos will eat.

Go to Sprouts-- There is one in Dallas, and you can go to look at theire website to find the other locations. They have tons of gluten free / wheat free snacks-- from oreo cookies, to pretzels, to bread--hamburger buns and raisin bread; breadsticks, rye crackers, rice crackers. They are usually pretty good about doing some extra marking on the items that are gluten free. We stay off of Wheat and Gluten, one because I am alergic to both & two it is really not that good for you.

I've got a cookbook my Carol Fenster. It's got a GF sandwich bread recipe that's great. It's the best one I've ever tried. Give that a whirl. It's also got a great biscuit recipe for egg sandwiches and the like.

You could make your own "Lunchables" with GF crackers and cut up lunch meat and cheese.

We make easy "pizzas" with rice tortillas as the crust.

Lots of fruit!!

Here's the website and group that you should connect with to get info from lots of mom's with experience with this diet. I and my two sons have been on the diet for over 5 years. There are tons of GF foods for kids now available.
www.dallasrock.org (Note: for some reason that website is
not available right now.
The leader of that group, Kelly LeMonds is wonderful at helping with this. And, in a couple years you can send your daughter to a camp where all the kids are on a GF diet!
Here's a link to the Yahoo group - lots of info there:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/dallasarearock/

I also have a Yahoo group with some recipes and lunch box suggestions:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/FM-Celiac-GI-FA/

1 / 3