Starting Breastfeeding How Long Does It Hurt?

Just a simple question how long is it painful and you want to scream when you first start nursing?

It took me about 3 weeks, but I think there may have been some thrush involved too. I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but in addition to before and after feeding, I applied Lansinoh before showering, so that the soap wouldn't dry out the sensitive skin even more. It was really helpful. Good luck!

If it's really REALLY painful and you're latching on correctly, and doing all the right things, it could be a case of the very rare condition of Raynaud’s Disease. You can learn more about it at http://www.breastfeedingmomsunite.com/2009/09/ask-an-lc-a...

Use the Lanolin stuff before and after each breastfeeding, and it will help. I had to be 'religious' about the stuff though - not just every once in a while.

You might want to see a lactation specialist to make sure your little one is latched on right.... however I have a 16 month old and a 2 week old and with both of them it did hurt for a few weeks. Just that initial latch was brutal and then it kinda starts to ease.
When people say is shouldn't hurt if the baby is latched on right- I think they are full of it. No matter what it will hurt in the beginning. It is a tender area for crying out loud.
My now 2 week old and I are doing pretty well. The pain is pretty much gone and I imagine in the next week it will be totally gone. I think it is also key that the more often you have the baby feed the sooner it will stop hurting. Just keep at it :)
You certainly have your hands full! Good luck!

My midwife told me that if it hurts when the baby first latches on, but goes away after a minute or so, that is normal. But if it hurts all the way through a feeding, that is a sign of something else wrong like a bad latch or thrush or something, and you should seek help.

In my experience - I'm nursing baby #4 - it will go away in about 2 weeks. And I second everyone's advice about using Lansinoh. There are also products like Soothies and such that will help reduce the friction on your nipples in between feedings.

Hang in there!

I remember the pain lasting several days, if not a week or so. If the pain is the entire breast due to massive "let down", then you need to take a warm shower and massage your breasts to get the milk to flow out and release some of the pressure.
Use the pinkie method to un-latch the baby and also use the lanolin cream -- it works. Deep breaths and relax. It doesn't hurt with the second baby.

It always hurt me at the beginning. It was so painful it would make my toes curl for the first few seconds for probably about a week. After that it was still a bit painful for 3-4 weeks - getting gradually better the whole time. I just used a ton of Lansinoh - it helped a ton. Hang in there!

I'd say about 2-3 weeks. That is assuming that you're doing it correctly. If the latch hasn't been good you have likely been injured, causing your nipples to bleed and develop scabs and callouses. If that is the case, you need to have a lactation specialist help you fix the latch. Then it will continue to hurt until the nipples have had a chance to heal.

Don't give up. It gets better. Get help if you need it.

All the latching advice in the world didn't help me. It hurt for a good 6 weeks.

My son latched on correctly and it was about 2 weeks before it stopped but after the first week it was bearable. The lanolin does help alot but it stains so be careful.

1 / 3