Starting Almost 1Yr Old on Whole Milk

My daughter is going to be 1 next friday. Should I start suplementing whole milk now or should I wait until her 1st birthday. She is a very healthy eater and prefers to eat at the table with the family rather then suck on a bottle. (also any tips on breaking the middle of the night boddle w/o driving my apartment neighbors crazy would be helpful) The WIC office suggested I start with a 3/4 formula 1/4 milk bottle for a day then a 1/2 and 1/2 for a day or so then a 3/4 milk 1/4 formula for a day until she was adjusted to having the whole milk. Any suggestions from moms that have completed this transition!

That's how I transitioned my son, because I tried to give them whole milk one day and he would not take a sip. So I gradually introduced it and it worked! The night bottle, I was told to give him water instead of milk, that way he would stop because he didn't like it. I hope it works for you.

My Dr. told me to go to straight milk so that we could find out if my daughter had allergies right away. That didn't work for her though. We had to add about an ounce of milk each day because she could taste it if there was more and wanted nothing to do with it. IT seemd to work well and by about a week she was all milk. I don't have any great suggestions about eliminating night time feeding other than give her a bottle right be fore bed.

I started giving My now 1yr and 1 day (she turned 1 yesterday)
a cup of whole milk at dinner. I did not do the 1/2 thing just the straight stuff. I started this about a month ago. I ran out of formula a week ago and put her on Whole milk then. She did fine. I also took the bottle away at the same time. She only got real milk in a sippy cup. She is now like I said 1 year and 1 day and is on whole milk and no bottle. Good luck I did this also with my other 2 children now 4 & 7 I hope you have the same luck I had.

N.

I would follow the WIC guidelines for transitioning over and doing it any time now would be fine. I would suggest waiting until you only have a couple days supply of formula left. Don't want to waste it. As for the middle of the night feeding, she doesn't need it. My son slept through the night at 4 months old. I found he could do it one night when I was exhausted enough to not get up with him right away. He soon fell back asleep. Maybe try waiting 5 minutes before going in to her, then 10 and so on. Does she put herself to sleep or are you there when she falls asleep? If she is used to you being there you may have to get up with her but don't feed her. Maybe warn your neighbors and appologize ahead of time that you are trying to get your daughter to sleep through the night. It has to be done sometime and the sooner the better. The older she gets the louder and longer she can cry.

If you haven't already tried, you might put water in the bottle in the middle of the night. She won't like it but she may decide its not worth getting up for water. I was living with my parents when one of my children, who was a frequent night waker, was that age (I tried desperately to keep her quiet as not to wake my dad who still went to work early) and it worked after a period of time.

It's great that your baby wants to join the family at meal time. There are so many nutrients to be had from table food that aren't available or bio-available in milk. When my two older children were one, we used up that last can of formula and went straight to milk with no problem.

I recently experienced this w/ my 13 month old. You can start transitioning now especially if you know she's had dairy products like yogurt w/out problems.

My baby didn't like whole milk straight. I put it in a sippy cup - wouldn't take it! Then I put it in a bottle, nope!
So I decided to wean her off formula first, then wean her off bottle later. I mixed formula and whole milk in a bottle similar to WIC guidelines. Only took a couple of weeks to wean her off.

Still working on the sippy cup transition. She rejects milk from sippy cup because she has only gotten water/juice from it. So now during meal times/snacks, I only give milk in sippy cup so she can make an association. I give her juice/water in sippy cup during non-meal times.

I usually give her a bottle of milk before her naps/bed. So in a couple of weeks I will start using the sippy cup before the daytime nap. Once this is successful, I can work on transitioning her out of the night-time bottle.

I don't want to mess with her nighttime bottle yet because I really like the fact that she sleeps through the night (10 hours). To ensure sleeping through the night I make sure she eats a lot for dinner (around 5 PM then snacks again when the rest of family comes home around 6:30 - 7). AND has a bottle right before bed. If your baby cries at night resist the temptation to rush in. I always wait a minimum of 5-15 minutes before coming to her. She usually falls back to sleep! I would just explain to your neighbors that you are trying to get your baby to sleep through the night. They'll understand if you reach out to them. That's what I did to my (elderly) uncle who has the room next to my baby!

Hi J.-

From my experience with my daughter, now 16 months, we switch "cold turkey" to milk around 11.5 months. (Actually, I think we may have alternated every other cup/bottle between formula and milk for a day or so, just so she could get used to the taste.) We also got rid of the bottles and went straight to sippy cups, putting two transitions into one. Oddly, she didn't seem to notice like I thought she would. At night, I still snuggle her while she's drinking a final cup of milk before bed so we wouldn't lose out on that one on one time.

Good luck! Sounds like your daughter will do just fine!

My son is 16 months old, so we went through this recently. I transitioned formula to milk and bottle to sippy cup at the same time. Bottles were for formula, and I began phasing both of them out from 12-14 months. Sippy cups were for milk (or water or watered down juice); these were given at mealtimes.

My son liked the taste of milk immediately and really wanted to drink out of a sippy cup like his big sister, so he was happy to do away with the bottle and the formula pretty quickly.

About a week before my daughter turned one, I gave her a couple of bottles of 1/2 milk, 1/2 formula thinking I would do the transition over the course of the week. I ran out of formula the next day and didn't want to buy anymore so I just started giving her full milk. She loved it! She never had any problems with dairy before and always eats cheese, yogurt, etc. My advice isn't to stress about it.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the middle of the night thing. Maybe try giving her water instead of milk? It worked for us.

1 / 3