Stabbing Pain After Breastfeeding

hi, i have been nursing my son for 17 mos now, and out of nowhere i have horrible stabbing burning sharp pain in my right breast after i nurse him. it lasts up to 3 hours afterwards sometimes. its been about a week, on and off, mostly on. no lumps or bumps or redness or anything visible. im only nursing 2-3 times a day now. i saw my gyn, he doesnt think its the breast at all, he said it might be costal chondritis? inflammation in between my chest wall and ribs or something? i dont know if i buy that. he said to take motrin, which i have been, but tonite it didnt do a thing, the pain went away after 2 hours, no way that the motrin took that long. maybe thrush? i never had it before, so i dont know. i have an appt for a sonogram, but not till jan. im gonna call tomorrow and see if they can put a rush on it, but i am wondering if anyone has any input. my son doesnt have any visible things in his mouth. he has been cranky lately, but has 4 molars coming in and fluid in his ear, so..... tia for any input

It definitely sounds like thrush. I had this once with each of my kids, and it was just like that. With my youngest, it happened when he was probably almost a year old and he never had any white patches in his mouth. They put me on some medication and it went away.

Hi D.. If I were you, I would go see, or talk to, a lactation consultant. It sounds like thrush. I had thrush with my son, and because he had no sores in his mouth, the pediatrician would not believe me. I was given a cream for my breast (nystatin), but it took a long time to clear up. The lactation consultant I talked with said that is because you have to treat BOTH mother and baby, or else they will continually pass it back and forth. She also said that babies don't always show symptoms of thrush even though they have it. So if you can, get a doctor or pediatrician to treat your son as well, and you can get the cream from your doctor/gyn/ob/midwife. Good luck.

you have thrush. i've been there, it hurts like hell. call your ob and your ped today to get meds or both you and your baby. good luck!

hiya..I had Mastitis(sp?) maybe see if there is a test for it?....Go to your doctor let them check, just incase..... .that happened to me for a little while finally I just went from total normal happy go lucky with those sharp pains once and awhile to really sick almost collapsing, thinking i had a bad flu with really sudden onset but I went to ER they had me on an IV within 10 min.. it could have been fatal if I shook it off as a flu...
good luck, i hope it passes for you

I had a similar experience recently. After my morning feeding, I would get a sharp pain that would last for hours. It was so uncomfortable that when I got that pain, I always thought of weaning my son. The only relief I got was when I nursed him again. My doctor prescribed antibiotics in case it was thrush or something else going on inside the breast that she couldn't see. I found the antibiotics made no difference.

I found that if I latched him on and squeezed my breast as he latched on to form a great latch, I wouldn't get this pain. It was almost as if, after 9 months of nursing, he forgot how to latch properly. I did this a couple of times, and I haven't experienced the pain since.

I wish you luck on finding the cure for yourself.

Hi D.,
They ruled out mastitis? My daughter had thrush, but I don't think it causes the sharp pain you describe. Maybe it's time to see a breast specialist?
R.

have you taken any antibotics? Itdoes sound like a little bit of yeast. I had some burning and in my breast and it did hurt some. The burning makes it feel sharp at times. But if it is that sharp I would push something from your doctor.

I thought thrush also hurt during breastfeeding and it sounds like it's just afterward for you. I wonder if it's a pulled muscle of some sort. Have you tried changing the position of your child (or your posture) while nursing to see if that helps?
Also, I know this may sound strange, but perhaps you're dehydrated. After the infancy stage, I often did not drink enough while breastfeeding. Dehydration can cause all kinds of random symptoms.

Hi D.,
Sounds like you have a lovely young family, I'm very impressed that you've managed to keep breast-feeding with two older children! I'm hoping to do the same as I'm now pregnant on my third.
I had thrush on my first baby and the pain was excruciating...I cried almost every time we fed until it went away, the pain was always during feeds though, not after. Also the pain I had centered around the nipple. I did get an infected milk duct too a few weeks later but this didn't hurt me much at all so the only way they found it was through a sonogram. They told me that those are usually very painful. So, I would plead with them to give you the sonogram as soon as possible. January is too far away to let this go on.
Best of luck,

1 / 3