St. Joseph's or Rose-which Is Better Place to Give Birth in Denver, CO

I'm trying to decide which hospital to have my baby at, St.Joseph's or Rose Medical Center in Denver, CO & I don't know anyone who has delivered at either one. Any comments out there from moms who have been at either would be very helpful.
Thanks!!

I recently delivered @ St Joe's and know someone who has delivered all three of ____@____.com are both awesome. Good luck to you. KB

I gave birth 4 almost 5 years ago at St. Joseph's Hospital. It was a wonderful experience. My sister almost 16 years ago gave birth at Rose and also had a good experience. There both good. Sorry, K. I hope this helps some.

I'd say Rose. I work there (not on the L&D floor) so maybe I'm biased, but Rose has had a reputation as being a great baby hospital for a long time. Also, I know they just remodeled their L&D suites...they're really nice. My friend just had her baby there in January. The post-partum rooms are kind of small, but I think that's true wherever you go. Good luck to you!

I gave birth at St. Joseph's and had a wonderful experience. I did my Lamaze class beforehand there and also did a walk through/pre-registration. The biggest thing I learned was to take charge of my birth and not allow the nurses and doctors to dictate actions that didn't feel right to me and they allowed me a lot of freedom in my decisions. For example, at one point, they wanted to do a C-section feeling that my daughter was in distress and I asked that they wait for 30 minutes before they made that happen. They waited for the 30 minutes and things ended up happening OK without needing the C-section.

Good luck in your decision.

I delivered at St. Joe's, and really liked it. Since my delivery took 4 days altogether and culminated in a c-section, I can safely say we enjoyed/experienced just about all the amenities that their BabyPlace and recovery ward had to offer. The rooms are very comfortable, almost all have jacuzzi tubs (which really helped with my labor pains) and lots of space for friends, family, doulas, etc. to hang out and feel welcome. The docs and nurses are fabulous too- and if you have Kaiser, it's wicked cheap. Our whole "birth plan" was shot to hell with our daughter because she was breach, but other than that, we had a great experience there and felt very safe and taken care of. I think Rose has great staff, but i'm not too impressed with their facilities. St. JOe's underwent a multi-million $ renovation only 3 years ago, specifically to make moms, babies & families feel as comfortable as possible and i think they succeeded. Plus, the food is healthful and tasty. Good luck with your birth!!

I am a labor and delivery nurse. I have never worked at St Joe's, but Exempla is a terrible company to work for. Rose is known as the "baby factory" and has a very nice facility. HealthOne is a good company to work for. Unfortunately, I haven't delivered at either one so I can't tell you about that side of it. I think they both do a good job during labor and managing any situations that may arise. What does your doctor think? What do the nurses in the doctor's office think? Have you taken a tour of the hospitals? Which one did you feel the most at home in?

Sorry this is not really the advice you were looking for, but I hope it was a little helpful.

I delivered at St. Joe's and thought it was a great experience. They offer classes to prepare for birth as well as breast feeding and child comfort and safety. The birthing rooms are very comfortable. The staff is very kind and helpful. They also provide in home follow up within in a week for mom and baby. The lactation specialists are very helpful and knowledgable especially when both baby and mom are still trying to figure out the breast feeding thing. They have a fairly comfortable sofa for dad. They will offer as much help as you want and will back off if you prefer.

I have had 2 babies at Rose in the last two and a half years and I absolutely recommend it. The nurses are great, the birthing suites are huge and the recovery rooms are really nice. This last time I had a HUGE recovery room with enough space for ten people to sit around and visit comfortably! The kitchen is like having hotel room service with a full menu from breakfast to dinner, and the pediatric doctors were very professional and knowledgable. Good Luck!!!

I know people who delivered at St. Jo's and had a great experience. One thing they have over Rose is the "family bed" vs the chairs at Rose.

But I had my baby at Rose and was so impressed with the care on the post-partum side that I wrote their bosses a letter commending them on their care. Can't say enough about them. Wonderful lactation help (and we needed it!). The nursery has everything you would ever need, and the rooms are quite nice. As I said, your husband may not find the fold out couch or recliner very comfortable but when you've just given birth he won't complain too loudly.

Have a wonderful delivery, wherever you end up!

While my experience at each hospital was some time ago (youngest is 11) I do feel qualified to reflect on both. St Joseph was older at the time I had my son. But the staff was great. Rose had just finished being redone and the birthing rooms were large and lovely. Also a pleasant birth. Have you taken a tour of each? Those are available... But the main point to look for is your confidance in you delivering physician. No point in giving up your favorite Doctor just because you like the wallpaper at the other hospital. In labor you won't notice it at all. Also be sure to check with your insurance carrier. If some of the bells and whistles offered are not covered, why bother getting your heart set. I have had babies in three different hospitals here in Denver. Believe me, as long as you and baby are healthy when you walk (ride) out, I gurantee you will not look behind you as you go.

You probably have more information than you needed at this point, but I delivered 2 children at Rose. I thought it was a great place with terrific nurses and 2 really helpful lactation consultants. I would probably go to whichever one is closest to your house or whichever one your pediatrician recommends.

1 / 3