Spray Paint on Ring!! Help

well wearing my ring has become second nature. so of course as i was spray painting this morning i got purple spray paint on my yellow gold and diamond ring. how do i get it off with out hurting the ring?? or is it just a lost cause??? please help!

Hi E.,
Fingernail polish remover works great on jewelry with paint. I've done that lots of times. Also the post that says WD-40. I used it on something one day but can't remember what it was, it did work on what ever it was though. Good luck!

It should come off eventually. Just do more dishes! Ha, ha!
Truthfully, I would take it to the jeweler. Don't mess with it. You could make it worse using assorted chemicals on it.

you can probably just scratch it off with your finger nail, if not try soaking it in some jewelry cleaner for a bit then scrubbing with a soft bristle brush(toothbrush maybe) if that doesn't work take a jewler to have it professionally cleaned and polished...i don't know if paint thinner will tarnish gold.

Hi E.
I haven't read the other responses and I'm probably repeating 100 other people, but take it to a jewelers and get it professionally cleaned. They have gentle solvents, and other techniques for cleaning.

will it just chip off once dry? Try to use your fingernail to chip it off. Gold is strong and solid, try the jewelry cleaner, soak it for about 5 mins then rub it. Try baking soda, white vinegar, all safe. Call a jeweler! :o)

This may sound silly but I'm told wd-40 will work. It's a water compound so it wound harm you chemically. Also Dawn dish soap may help too..

Can you scrap it off after it dries?, If not, I would definitly not try to fix it yourself, take it to a jeweler that you trust.

I wouldn't use pain thinner or anything like that on it. That seems detrimental to the ring. Try either jewelry cleaner or toothpaste, and then if not take it to a jeweler. I am surprised it doesn't just flake off with your fingernail. Head to WalMart and get some jewelery cleaner. That's what it's made for, after all! =D

Hi E.,

It definitely isn't a lost cause! If it won't just scrape off, and you're worried that you're going to damage the ring then I'd just take it to a jeweler you trust. If you're not too paranoid about it, then try some gentle cleaners first and see if those help.

I found out that a product called desolve it works well. I buy it at Walmart. It is a citrus cleaner. It works great on gum and it safe for your hands.

Paint thinner. Or take it to a jeweler.

Have u tried using scrubbing with tooth paste? Thats what I use to clean mine, just use a soft brush. It should come right off.

my husband is a jeweler and said to use paint thinner and a soft bristle toothbrush. if that doesn't work you need to take it to a jeweler to have it professionally cleaned.

Hi E.,

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.....

**************************************************************

I have been in the same boat as you are in. In the past I have had wall, ceiling and spray paint on my gold and diamonds. The way I cleaned them was to soak them in ammonia with a small amount of water and than with a SOFT brush cleaned them. The ammonia softened the paint. If you have any doubt PLEASE contact a jeweler for his/her advice.

Last summer I painted A LOT before our little girl was born. I have my own container of jewelry cleaner that i used on my ring (you know those red ones?). They have them at most department stores. I used that on it and it looked as good as knew.

Then my husband got me a new band for my ring when our daughter was born. When I went to the jeweler's he was like so I guess you like to paint, huh? I was shocked, he showed me the ring in a magnifying glass and I could see all the specks on there. They did a professional cleaning at that time and I think got it all.

get you a jar of the jewelry cleaner and soak it over night then take the little brush that comes inside the jar and brush it. That always worked for me but if it doesn't you can always take it to a jewelry store and they can clean it up for you.

I shop with a company that has safer, naturally based products and they sell something that gets paint out. It's called sol u mel. This stuff works wonders. It even get permanant marker out. If interested contact me with your name and number and i'll give you the info of how to get it.

Goof Off is a product that might help...
It will wear off, so don't scratch the ring trying to scrape it off...
put a bandaid over it the next time you spray paint, & u won't have 2 take it offf!

Have you tried lacquer thinner? I don't think it will hurt it, but I'm not sure. That's about the only thing I know of to remove paint - unless it's latex and will peel off... Your jeweler should know and be able to clean it, also. The thinner may dull it some, so a good polish my be required.