Spray Paint on Ring!! Help

well wearing my ring has become second nature. so of course as i was spray painting this morning i got purple spray paint on my yellow gold and diamond ring. how do i get it off with out hurting the ring?? or is it just a lost cause??? please help!

Hi E.,
Fingernail polish remover works great on jewelry with paint. I've done that lots of times. Also the post that says WD-40. I used it on something one day but can't remember what it was, it did work on what ever it was though. Good luck!

It should come off eventually. Just do more dishes! Ha, ha!
Truthfully, I would take it to the jeweler. Don't mess with it. You could make it worse using assorted chemicals on it.

you can probably just scratch it off with your finger nail, if not try soaking it in some jewelry cleaner for a bit then scrubbing with a soft bristle brush(toothbrush maybe) if that doesn't work take a jewler to have it professionally cleaned and polished...i don't know if paint thinner will tarnish gold.

Hi E.
I haven't read the other responses and I'm probably repeating 100 other people, but take it to a jewelers and get it professionally cleaned. They have gentle solvents, and other techniques for cleaning.

will it just chip off once dry? Try to use your fingernail to chip it off. Gold is strong and solid, try the jewelry cleaner, soak it for about 5 mins then rub it. Try baking soda, white vinegar, all safe. Call a jeweler! :o)

This may sound silly but I'm told wd-40 will work. It's a water compound so it wound harm you chemically. Also Dawn dish soap may help too..

Can you scrap it off after it dries?, If not, I would definitly not try to fix it yourself, take it to a jeweler that you trust.

I wouldn't use pain thinner or anything like that on it. That seems detrimental to the ring. Try either jewelry cleaner or toothpaste, and then if not take it to a jeweler. I am surprised it doesn't just flake off with your fingernail. Head to WalMart and get some jewelery cleaner. That's what it's made for, after all! =D

Hi E.,

It definitely isn't a lost cause! If it won't just scrape off, and you're worried that you're going to damage the ring then I'd just take it to a jeweler you trust. If you're not too paranoid about it, then try some gentle cleaners first and see if those help.

1 / 3