Spotty Red Rash All over My 2 Year Old

I just noticed a rash all over my 2 year old. Doesn't look like a food reaction and it covers his whole chest, stomach and back. A little on his face and arms. I didn't notice it until an hour ago. Nothing obvious pops into my mind of something new he ate. Any ideas? Doctors is closed and I know think it is worthy of ER so I thought I'd reach out to you guys for insight. Thanks.

Thanks so much for all of your responces. This website is like gold. I didn't mention in my request buy my son has just gotten over 3 nights of fevers of 103 at night and this rash is right behind it so many of you mentioned happened with your own. I gave him benedryal and he seems a bit better today the rash has not gotten worse. Thanks again moms. You guys always come through!

The first thing that comes to mind is a rash associated with a virus. My 9 month old had hand/foot/mouth disease and the first symptom was the fever followed 2 days later by a rash that was barely visible on the hands and feet, mostly prevalent everywhere else. In fact, he looked like he had the measles. Upon looking in his mouth, he had 2 very small ulcers on the back of his throat but these didn't show up until 4 days after the fever started. There is nothing to do for these poor little ones when they get this other than fluids and some tylenol. His lasted an entire week but some cases are less severe.

Hi, My son just had Roseola and it was exactly the same. The rash isn't bad and he will clear up in a few days. You have already gotten through the hardest part. The rash will move from his trunk to his extremities then will disappear as quick as it came. I have heard of cases where it lasted a week to 2 weeks but everyone I have talked to said a few days and my son was no exception.
It is pretty scary looking but he will be up playing like there is nothing wrong probably by today or tomorrow at the latest.

Has he had a fever in the last few days? It could be roseola. The spots look like tiny red pinpricks all over. My son had it last week. It's very common in children ages 9 mo to 2 yrs It's associated with 2 different viruses. Generally there are a couple of days of fever, followed by a rash. It starts on the torso, and moves outward onto the arms, legs and face. It looks bad, but it doesn't itch. The rash usually is gone in several days (my son's was really bad, but it was gone in about 4 days).

You can check out this link, it helped me to diagnose my son, and saved me a trip to the doctors office.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/roseola/DS00452

If it looks like a prickly heat rash it could be viral... watch for a fever in the next day or two. It probably just needs to run its course.

Hi S.. I run a daycare and we recently had a bout of the Roseola too, so I am going to agree with all these other mothers and say that Roseola could be the case. It's the first thought that came to mind when I read your question. The tell tale sign as everyone has mentioned is the fever that precedes the rash. It doesn't even have to be a high fever either (so unfortunately it may have gone un-noticed). It can be contagious, so your other son may experience something similar as well. If I were you, I would just keep an eye on him until Monday and then take him in, unless symptoms get worse.

That sounds like virus hives. My son gets them when he is getting over a virus like a cold or stomach bug. Sometimes there isn't any other symptom besides them. Give him Benedryl to help with the itching and helping his body counteract itself with antihistamines. Let him be more restful for a few days until they clear up. My husband use to get them when he was young too. It is common to have hive like rashes with or after a virus according to our doctor, it is just you never hear about until it happens in your house.

S.-

It might be Fifths Disease. It is a very common virus for children and all three of my kids have had it. Generally they are not uncomfortable. They usually run a very low grade fever a few days before the rash shows up and then feel fine during the rash portion. They are also contagious before the rash shows up but not once the rash appears. I always take my kids to the doctor just to rule out other things but there is nothing to do -- just let the virus run its course. It looks way worse than it is. One of the telltale signs is bright red cheeks -- like they've been "slapped". Good luck and hope they recover soon.

My child came down with a fever last Sunday. On Wed he started getting spots exactly like you've described(my kids had never had this before and this was the first time my little one had even been sick at all). I took him to the Dr. yesterday(Thursday) and was told it's just a virus and the spots should be gone in the next few days. Obviously I'm not a Dr. but if your not sure what it is it's always best to call the Pediatrician on call. Doesn't your Dr.'s office have a Ped on call at nightime to anwer questions? That's what they are there for, don't feel bad about calling to ask about the care of your child.

1 / 3