Spotting at 12 1/2 Weeks Pregnant, Help!

Hi Mamas!
Can at all be normal to be spotting at 12 1/2 weeks pregnant? I also have had a pretty bad headache all day. I have a call in to my doctor but who knows when she'll call me back. Please help!

Dear Mamas,
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reassure me and give be the benefit of your experience. My doctor did eventually call me back last night and suggest I go for a special ultrasound (nucal translucency), but in the meantime not to worry because it can be normal especially since it was dark brown in color, no cramping, and relatively light- only incredibly terrifying for a first-time preggo mom! I also called my old Dr. (too far away to go to) and her nurse told me the same thing: not to worry, try to keep off my feet and not to spaz (my word). Already, it has gotten lighter and my headache didn't last past mid-morning the next day. Feeling much less freaked out. So, thanks so much for all of your caring and prayers; I am so glad I found this site!- J..

-One week later-
I went for my ultra-sound yesterday and everything was fine. Babycakes was nice and comfy and healthy and looking the way she (or he) should. Personally, I have never in my life seen anything so beautiful and perfect as my tiny, little 2 1/2 inch baby on the ultrasound monitor! I tell you, women get all the perks! The cause of my bleeding was a tiny pocket under the placenta where it had not attached all the way yet but was healing nicely. So all said and done, not to worry- everything is fine! I am going to frame the pictures! Thank you all for your concern and answers!

Don't worry too much, I did bleed often and on and off with my second pregnancy. Sometimes it happens. Keep calm.

I would not wait for the doctor to call you back. I would go to her office immediately and insist that you be seen. Spotting can often be nothing, but I know you will feel better once the doctor tells you that nothing is wrong. Best of luck!

I never did...but know woman that have. if its not a lot I would not worry. sounds like you may be dehydrated and that can cause a headache. just keep up on your fluids for that growing baby. Good luck! :)

from what i've read, spotting is not normal, but in 50% of cases, it can be totally fine. Do you have other morning sickness symptoms or did they disappear?

Did your nausia disappear too? Spotting is completely normal, though it was the first sign of all three of my miscarriages at 12 weeks. Do not panic, you are probably fine, but get in to see your doctor ASAP to set your mind at ease.

Every case is different but as for me, I had an actual blood flow like a period (more then spotting) at 12 weeks and my baby was fine. We were all scared and I had to be on bed rest until they figured out that it was no problem. I think you should just lay down, rest, take it easy as you can. This will be best for you and your baby until you hear from your doctor.

I had spotting with my son at around 11 weeks.. had a vaginal ultrasound and it turned out fine. However, if your dr.s office didn't tell you to come in right away for an ultrasound or to be checked I suggest you switch dr's. doesn't sound like they are very good..

good luck!! I hope it works out for you!!!

Hi, I know exactly how you feel. i am 14 weeks pregnant right now and i too spotted, brown, at 12 1/2 weeks. Though i was in florida when it happened, my dr. called me right back and told me to go get an ultrasound but being in florida, i had to go to the ER and boy was i scared. I already have a 18 month old, but suffered a miscarriage in november so i was very nervous. they gave me an ultrasound that showed that the baby was fine and had actually grown from the ultrasound i had in new york on monday. all my blood work came back perfect as well though i was having some cramping and tightness. the ER doctor told me to take it easy, almost be on bed rest,which isvery hard with a 18 month old and that i was probably deydrated. But, there is a 50/50 chance of having a miscarriage and no one knows why. so i rested and drank TONS of water and i spotted twice the next day, less the next and have had no spotting since. the cramping actually got worse(braxton hicks like, which is when you have contractions that tighten your abdomin which are completly harmless) The more water i drank, the better i felt. I was running around florida at attraction with my family and most have done too much and not drank enough. I still don't know why this happeend and the same thing could be happening to you. If your DR doesn't call you back, go the ER asap and make sure everything is okay. So far, it was for me, so that should give you some hope. Good luck and i will be thinking about you. If you have any more questions, let me know!! By the way, what color is the spotting, some people spot brown their whole pregnancy and go on the have healthy babies, though they say, if it becomes red and you are having cramps, worse than period cramps, than something could be wrong. My friend,, who works at an ob/gyn told me this is the most common reason people come into the office. Also, i forgot, your DR should ask you if you have add sex in the past 24 hours, becuase alot of women, harmlessly spot after sex....again Good LUCK!!!

dont wait for her/him go to the er and check it out, God bless

Hi!
I also spotted at around 12 weeks or so and it was SOOOOOOOO scary... but, it was fine. Some women just spot in the beginning and it scares us insanely. I'm sorry you're going through it, I was a mess and totally scared about it. But, my daughter was fine and everything turned out OK. I hope your OB got back to you.
All the best and good luck,

1 / 3