Sports - Deland,FL

Does anyone know of a sport that is good for a 3 and half year old?

My daughters are 3 and 6 and they both take dance and play soccer. For a boy T-ball would also work! Have fun!

Dear E.,

I would recommend.....T-Ball or soccer for your 3 1/2 year old.......If it's a boy....If it's a girl....Soccer.......T-Ball to if she is active.

Good Luck,

G. H.

My son played T-ball, soccer and flag football at that age. I'd recommend the T-ball and soccer but skip the flag football (all they did was run around ripping off each other's flags). The problem for us was finding a facility/league that offered sports starting at that young an age. We ended up having to travel about 25mins away to a rec center in another town. If you think your child would be interested in those type of sports, start looking for something in the fall. There probably isn't anything right now since most programs end for the summer.

I think soccer is the best for children that age. It is running and kicking, things that come naturally to kids and it's great exercise.

Swimming lessons if they aren't used to the water are great. Gymnastics classes are great at that age help with their balance, agility and coordination, not to mention lots of fun. Soccer might just be fall and spring, but it is fun and at that age everyone just goes as a group to the ball usually. Dance classes would be good too or a combination class with gymnastics.

I know where I am you have to wait until 4, but I plan on having my daughter take some form of martial arts. It teaches discipline, respect and self-defense. Swimming is also good because it is fun, but I think it is a necessity to teach kids to swim since it can be a life saver. Soccer and T-Ball are also great team sports. We want our daughter to play a team sport to learn the valuable lessons of that come with it, but we also plan on introducing our daughter to golf. We both love it and hope she will too.

They have a martial arts in DeLand that has 2yr and up. They get the first week free and then it's only $50/mo no registration, and it's month-by-month. also the uniform is included. The classes are about 45mins. i believe. it's over by the Y in the new aluminum buildings. also there is soccer but i want to say they have to be 4 before they start anything like that, including t-ball, etc. your child might be able to do gymnastics also. and dance.

Swimming is the first thing that comes to mind.
Other thoughts...
karate
soccer
gymnastics
dance

It really depends on interests and gender.

This time of year, I don't think you can go wrong with swimming lessons.

Gymnastics is great for both boys and girls (despite the fear that it's too girly). Our 3.4 year-old son just started T-Ball. We have friends whose kids have done soccer, basketball, dance all at that age. Most football leagues don't start until they're older. Our daughter started dance classes just before her 2nd birthday - I thought it was going to be such a waste of money, and she loves it and is doing really well.

Our son's getting interested in lacrosse and tennis as well because of toys we've gotten at Walmart recently.

1 / 3