Spongebob Squarepants...Do You Allow Your Kids to Watch?

Okay, I have had the firm rule of NO Spongebob Square pants in my house, but when I tell other parents they look at me like I'm crazy! The few times I have seen this show I have found it to be rude and disgusting, and honestly I do not want kids to act like that! I do not want to offend anyone, but that is how I see this show. Do you let your kids watch this show? Why or why not?
I might want to add all my kids are girls, and maybe that is a big part why I do not like the show. Their ages are 9, 4, and 3 and yes, I have been able to keep my 9 year old from getting into the Sponge Bob madness. Not an easy task I must say, but to me worth it!

I don't get it. What is rude or disgusting about Spongebob? Spongebob is a sweet, simple hearted guy that has great work ethic and goes a little overboard sometimes, just like we all do. He doesn't care about being popular, or cool (for the most part) and he enjoys the simple things in life. He's a good friend, a good worker, a good citizen, a good son/grandson and he has varied interests. He also never gives up (can't get his boating license but keeps trying). I think these are all things I'm cool with my kids seeing in a cartoon.

You know I did not want my son to watch it because I thought the show was just dumb, but he started watching it with my husband. Well guess what- no matter what their age boys love shows with fart jokes and such. Rather than fight it, I just accept it...and I've got to admit the show makes me chuckle. Boys are boys and even my very sweet little one told me that "instead of cartoons, we should all watch fartoons where everyone farts." *SIGH*

I totally agree with you. That show is just plain dumb!!! I don't allow my kids to watch it when I'm home but my husband does when I'm out and he's watching them. I would prefer that they see something educational. Also this part is kinda funny but my boys 8 and 6 love Food Network, especially Cupcake Wars (they tivo it and watch when homework is done next day) and Iron Chef too. I guess they're not the typical American kids, lol.

Spongebob is funny. The jokes that are innapropriate go right over my 3 yr olds head. Cartoon characters aren't meant to be role models. If we are going to use that standard than please apply it to your favorites too.; Someone said Patrick is portrayed as dumb....so was goofy on the Mickey Mouse Show. Lets look at Scooby Doo... A a narcasisst, a lesbian(no offense lesbains), a vapid rich girl ina mini skirt, and a stoner with the munchies. Boris and Natasha from Bullwinkle. Even Tom and Jerry were terrible! Fog Horn Leghorn. Yosemite Sam. I don't want my kids modeling any of thier behavior. But I'm so not concerned about that. My kids are smarter than to think that is proper behavior. Just have a sense of humor sometimes. Not everything is gonna get ya! Besides we all know cartoons aren't made you for you, me, or even our kids.... they are made for stoned college kids!

SpongeBob is hilarious!!! My DD does not find interest in it...no matter how much I try...

Its a cartoon....seriously....EVERYBODY CALM DOWN!!!! I grew up in the 70's and 80's....children are smart...they KNOW its a cartoon....and by cartoon, I mean EXACTLY that, C A R T O O N.......

I feel that we as parents these days have a tendency to "bubble- wrap" our kids....expose them a little, teach them a little....let them problem solve and make their own deductions....prepare them for the world...To quote another mother "SpongeBob says 'stupid' and 'shut up'"....do you really think that Johnny is going to travel through life and NOT hear that?

We love SB. Our boys are 10, 7 and a newborn. It's funny, we actually see SpongeBob and Patrick as an example of a good, healthy friendship. They like each other unconditionally, enjoy acting silly, and are always there to help one another. Squidward is a good example of just how stuffy and closed-minded people can be and Mr Krabs is a good example of just how greedy people can be. Both Squidward and Mr Krabs usually pay a price for their behaviors while SB and Patrick just enjoy life. Sure, not every episode is a life lesson. Some are just fun, but what's wrong with that?

However, you are not alone. We know others that won't let their children watch it either. I certainly respect anyone's decision to not allow their kids to watch it, but with no much garbage on TV these days, we think SB is a good thing.

i let my daughter watch spongebob. I let her watch the simpsons and tom and jerry too. She knows she isn't supposed to drop pianos on peoples heads, that there are no talking sponges and that since these things don't exist she isnt going to try and emulate them.

What frightens me is when these real life girls with shows like high school musical and hannah montana conduct eyebrow raising activities in their real life, this is what i worry about my daughter copying, and idolizing. We dont watch those.

I think it is hilarious. My kids love it! I think they adore Spongebob, who is always cheerful, nice, and sweet and the other characters that are stupid or rude are not their role models. If there is rudeness, it is not shown to be a good thing.

SpongeBob is okay. My daughter enjoys it and doesn't consider Patrick Star a role model. They are silly, goofy acting characters and most of the humor appeals to the younger set. It makes me laugh too. It doesn't make her act wildly or disrespectfully, there is no bad language and the occassional humor that is directed at adults isn't inappropriate for children. The references I've seen are to 2001 Space Odyssey which my daughter certianly didn't get but I found amusing. I find Hannah Montana less appropriate and encourage her to watch other things. Frankly, she'd rather play outside or color than veg out in front of the TV.

1 / 3