Splinters in My 10 Month Old

My 10 month old is walking but he crawled for only a few minutes on my parents deck that had just been powerwashed and he got a bunch of little splinters in his legs. He will not sit still for me to use tweezers. I put alcohol on them and gave him a bath so they are at least clean but I'm still worried they might get infected. Do I need to get them out or will they work themselves out? How do I get them out?

Thanks everybody. I finally got some better tweezers and had my parents come over to hold him down and keep him entertained while I worked on them. I think I got them all out after quite a few kicks to the face!

My daughter would never sit still for things like that either. I always had to do it when she was sleeping. You might try that once he is in a deep sleep. If he is a heavy sleeper like my daughter - it will probably work really well. If not, so long as the splinters are not really deep, I imagine they would work themselves out. It seems like you have done all you can to prevent infection. Good luck!

S.,
This is one of those situations that are best handled by your child's doctor. You don't want something simple to turn into a big problem, so you should just get it taken care of right away by someone who knows what to do. Hope this is helpful. L.

You need to get them out! Most decks are made with "pressure treated wood" or what they call CCA wood. CCA wood is Copper Chromium Arsenate. CCA or pressure treated wood contains dangerous, hazardous chemicals, Including a form of ARSENIC, one of the deadliest poisons known to man. As hands and feet come in contact with the wood the chemicals can either get absorbed into the skin or mouth. CCA has been linked to numerous cases of caner and other diseases with significant % of cases involving children. If you can not get them out, get the doctor to get them out. I use toenail clippers on my children's splinters. It does not take as long as tweezers, but it does take more skin away and sometimes you can get the splinter on the first try.
Splinters do "work their way" out of the body, but it could take a long time to do so and since it is deck wood, I would think he is more inclined to infection, even if it was just cleaned! If all else fails, take him to your doctor and get them to remove them. Good luck!
HTH...
Jenn
Mama to Bryce~9, Austin~6, Taylor~1 1/2
Step Mama to Nich~15 Christian~14

I agree with the other Mom who said to get them out now!!! The pressure treated wood will almost certainly cause problems! My little one had a small splinter that was on her big toe, we waited until the Dr. had an appointment a few days later and he ended up having to pretty much cut it out because an infection began. Good luck!

Hey S.,
as far as I know you shouldnt use alcohol to clean any scrape, cut or wound. It irritates the skin, especially if the skin is already broken. Just rub a thin amount of Neosporin over the areas. The splinters should work their way out on their own.

Hi S.. There is a kind of vaseline that will pull things out of skin. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but if you go to a pharmacy and ask they will know what it is. You just put it on the affected area and cover it with a bandaid and it pulls it out of the skin. It works on glass and things like that so I am sure it would work on wood.

A.

Let him soak or splash in the tub or in a swimming pool. The splinters whould eventually work themselves out. Watch for redness and irritation — if that happens, call your ped.

I've heard of 2 good ideas for taking splinters out that aren't embedded down too far.

The first is to use a strong tape that will grab them. Just put it on the area and swoop it off and hopefully it will take the splinters out.

The second is to put rubber cement type glue on it and let it dry and then peel the glue off and the splinters should come out with it.

I hope one of these works for you!!!

1 / 3