Spit Up - Homewood,IL

Any advice about excessive baby spit-up? My 3 month old spits up a lot after eating. We burp her and keep her upright after feeding but still spits up way too much- sometimes it seems like everything she drinks comes right back up. She is taking Good Start formula and isn't fussy or uncomfortable after she eats. She is gaining weight fine and peeing and pooping so is this something to be concerned about? There are so many different formulas to choose from - does anyone have any experience with this?

My Pediatrician told us that all babies have a small amout of acid reflux which can cause excessive spitting up. He said they don't consider it a problem unless:
baby spits up an amout about the size of a large dinner plate AND
is not gaining weight (which you said yours is) OR
baby is acting like it hurts when he/she spits up. (ie: crying and arching back, etc)

let me preface by saying that i haven't read any of the advice you've already gotten, so if i end up sounding like a broken record, i apologize!

sadly for you (and your washing machine), it's totally normal for some babies. so long as she's happy, comfy, and doing all the stuff she's meant to do, it's a phase (albeit and icky one) that you'll have to deal with. my older child wore a bib till she was (and i'm not kidding) 10 months old. she spit up all the time. at her peak she was going through about 12 bibs a day and several outfits. it was gross and it kept me on my toes (and near my washing machine!), but as she was happy and gaining weight there wasn't much to do but wait it out.

good luck!!

My son spit up a lot after feedings and I nursed him. You can try cutting down the amount that she eats at a sitting. I found that the less I gave him that helped with his spitting up. Also my doc told us that as long as they are gaining weight there is not much to worry about. You can try starting cereal, that is what my doc had us do and that helped some also since it was not all liquid.

Really not much to worry about. Good luck

My first child never spit up a drop. But my little boy, not 8 months old, was like Old Faithful! He spit up constantly, but with a smile on his face always! We tried 3 different formulas and nothing worked! Dr. said he was just a "happy spitter" and not to be concerned. We have more bibs and Dreft stain remover spray in our house than Target. Good news is that the spitting up has stopped:) It stopped at about 7 months...just in time for the drooling to begin. I don't think we have a single photo of our little guy without a bib! Good luck!

if every thing else is fine, no, you shouldn't be concerned. my first spit up constantly (not even formula, only nursed) just about every time he ate. I thought this was what all babies did until my second - who spit up maybe three times total. don't worry unless there are other problems.

My daughter was the same way. She gained weight, pooped, peed, everything was normal. I asked the doctor and was told some babies spit up more then others. We were not concerned it was a health issue since everything was going as it should. It eventually stopped, but I think the first year of her life we never took a bib off her. Kind of turned into a funny thing - we had color coordinated bibs for her outfits and funny ones that said things like, "single". If your baby is like mine, there is nothing to be concerned about. Just mention it to your doc next time you have an appointment.

I agree with the other posts - my pediatrician said my little boy was a happy spitter as well. As long as your daughter gains weight and isn't uncomfortable spitting up, you're fine. And I don't think it has anything to do w/ the formula she's on because my son was exclusively breastfed and every time he spit up, I was like, NOOOOOO my liquid gold! I switched my diet around but nothing worked. The doctor just said that some kids have less developed diaphragms than others (my daughter NEVER spit up so this was a change!). She also said that it always looks like more than it actually is :) Good luck!

I had the same issue with my 4 month old son. He was on Good Start until two weeks ago when I switched him to the Target Up & Up formula with added rice starch. If you don't like generic, Enfamil A.R. is the same thing. The formula is designed for babies who spit up frequently. It is thicker so it stays down. This has drastically improved his spitting up. He still spits up sometimes, but it's usually just a little bit. This has also helped his b.m.'s. He used to go once a day and it was always a huge blow-out, now he goes a couple times a day and it's of the consistency that it should be at this age. Good luck!

1 / 3