Spilled Gasoline in the Car!!!

Hello moms! I hope someone can help me with this one! My dear husband filled a gas can at the gas station and spilled it while he was driving back home. We have a minivan, and the back seats were folded down flat. It spilled on the back of the seat but I'm sure it probably also went into the cracks, and therefore also on the fabric of the seats. Does anyone have any idea how to clean it up and get rid of the horrible fumes? We are supposed to have a carpet cleaner steam clean it tomorrow but I can't be sure this will work. I refuse to put my children in the car until it is cleaned up and fume free, yet we need to get to school and other places. Arrggg!!! Thanks for any help!

Well, it has been a few days now. We have had it professionally steam cleaned, put two pans of baking soda in it, a bunch of charcoal and a product called air sponge. We have also let the van air out for the first two days and now we have closed it up with all of these products in it. The fumes have lessened considerably but we can still smell it. I am hopeful that this will clear up in a few days. We'll see. Thank you to all who have responded...I am willing to try anything to get this resolved!!! By the way, we will also be trying the ground coffee as well! Thanks again moms!

A steam cleaning and a big pan of charcoal briquettes left overnight in the car with the windows rolled up for a few nights eventually worked for us. It does take some time. We were lucky not have kids yet when this happened to us. Good luck.

this just happened to a friend of mine here's what worked coffee. The web said to use dried coffee but she brewed it and poured in on all the rugs after pulling them out of her car then she repeated it until smell was gone. Then she washed them . I was in her car last night and I couldn't smell anything.

Hi K. - put some baking soda on the spots. Even if they aren't sodden, over time, the baking soda will pull it up and should absorb some of the smell. You could also try cat litter. I believe there's also a granule product used in garages to sop up oil and gas spills from cars. You might call an auto parts store and ask. Good luck!

Kitty littter works great for that. pour it on affected area then let sit for a wile then vaccume. Good Luck!

gas will evaporate in just a few hours, leave your windows open for and hour or two it will go away..

The fumes should evaporate in a few days, but it will take a good cleaning to make it non flammable again.
Use his car and let him smell it until you get it cleaned.If you have a safe nieghboorhood I would leave the windows down so it can air out.

Hi K.~

I work from home with a wellness company. They have natural products (cleaners, vitamins, bath/body, laundry, etc.) If you'd like, I'd be happy to share the info with you so you can see if you'd like to try them. They have a product that I have used before to take gasoline off my hands ...works great! Just go to: www.KidsNeedMomHome.com and fill out the "get info" form and it will come right to my email inbox and I'll get in touch with you. No pressure, just free info and if you like what you hear, I'll help you set up an account so you can shop with them. Not sure where you are but if you're anywhere local I'd be happy to share my cleaners with you to help with the gasoline spill til you can get your own.

AFter it has been cleaned up as good as you can (I would use carpet cleaner and HOT water), then open car doors put a fan in to blow fumes out. After that, tear strips of newspaper and put on the seat and floor- they absorb odor quite well, change them every other day. Charcoal does too- you can wrap some charcoal in newspaper and lay on the floor of the car. Gasoline does evaporate over time, so it will go away eventually!

1 / 3