Speech Delayed

My son just turned two and he's still not really talking. He says the first sound of words, but that's all. For example, ball is ba, water is wa, drink is dr. No second sylabols or two words together either. We've had his ears checked and they're fine. I read to him and even do flash cards. His comprehesion is great. He's throwing lots of temper tantrums I think as a result of not being understood. So, my question is is this fairly normal or should I look into getting speech thearpy for him?
R.

Thank you for all the suggestions. We do use some sign language with him, truthfully I think the tantrums are more from not getting his way. We had him evaluated by AZIP (Arizona Early Intervention Program. They said he is 40% delayed, but they will only help if he is 50% delayed. I can't have him evaluated again until March. The ped said just stick to AZIP and wouldn't refer to a speech therapist. So, I guess I wait and if in March he's still 40% I'll try to do something else. What I'm not sure!
R.

R.,
Have you considered teaching him some basic sign language? I have an 18 month old who I taught some basic signs to at about 9-12 months. It has proven to be very beneficial, as she can communicate her basic needs to me when she is unable to do so verbally. I always use the oral word when signing to her so she will associate the two and develop her speech appropriately. I think you are right on in your assessment that his temper tantrums are a result of not being understood.
This might be a good temporary solution until you can discuss with his Dr. whether or not speech therapy may be needed.

This is definitely one for your Pediatrician to determine. Boys especially take longer with the talking. Always say the complete word back to him when he is using just the first part, like if he says Ba, say "Ball?" and try and get him to repeat you. I would say tantrums can come from not being able to communicate his needs. Go see your Dr, this is something they need to determine on whether he has a speech delay or just taking his time.

Definitely have him evaluated. My ped. got u sin to Children's in Denver with no problem for the same thing, and my son is just 18 months. There may be a hospital near you that would do the same thing. I had to do the foot work and then just called and asked if they would call the number and get us set up. Also, our first son was delayed in speech and now at four they believe it was due to hearing loss due to allergies. Since the hearing came and went as the allergies changed, we never caught the hearing loss until age 4 1/2. Even now we have to consider him partially deaf since we don't know when he can hear and when he can't. He passed most hearing tests, but still struggles with speech. Learning to read has helped him a lot since he can see what the word should sound like.

I would look into speech therapy if I were you. My son also has speech delays and has been in SP since he was about 14 months. He's now 28 months and finally showing some progress and is increasing his verbal vocabulary. He also was only saying initial sounds, did not imitate, but had great comprehension. He does some music therapy through his speech and occupational therapy which helps train his ear to hear different frequencies and that has helped his speech too. We started teaching him some sign language early on and that has really helped with the frustration level. We also have some picture cards that help him communicate. I would suggest you have an evaluation done and then get on a waiting list for a speech therapist--they're in high demand and short supply.

Definately have him evaluated and look into Sensory Integration as well as it could be a link to his delayed speech. Here is a website you can check out: http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/

You can play word games with him too that will encourage speech. My son had delayed speech and it took us down the Sensory path.. With Speech classes and Occupational Thereapy he was talking great within a year..

Hope that helps.

When I was reading this I thought, "he must be a second child" and then I saw that he was. It is VERY common for the second child to be delayed in talking. Alot of times they can, but they won't. I would encourage him to use his words when he is frustrated. The best thing that worked for us was saying, "Show me what you want/need, etc"

Our grandson was having the same sort of trouble...right before Christmas he had his tongue "clipped". On Christmas Eve, he was already sounding out words - it made such a huge difference. Have you had your childs tongue checked for being "tongue tied"?

I would talk to your pediatrician about having him tested. By the age of two, most kids should have at least near 50 words that they are using, some more. They should also start putting two words together soon too. Arizona has a great early intervention program where the therapist come to your house to do therapy. Early intervention is key! Good luck!

To add: Someone mentioned the schools, schools will take them at 3 for therapy, but before then you have to go through Arizona Early Intervention Program (AzEIP)

1 / 3