Speech Delay - Tongue Tied?

My son turned 2 in September and he is still not talking. He has a few words. We had his hearing and eyesight checked; they both are fine. My older son, now 6, was an early talker but his doctor watched him because they thought he might be tongue-tied. I'm going to have my 2 year old looked at by an ENT. Does anyone have a child that is or was tongue-tied? How did you know? How was the procedure to correct? Did it run in your family?

I wish I could send each of you a personal email. I can't thank you enough for all your advice. My son has been seeing early intervention since the spring so i think we are covering all of our bases with his speech. I am not convinced he is tongue-tied but made an appt in Jan to have him checked for peace of mind. Thanks everyone!

I dont know anything about tongue tied but my daughter is 3 and she talks like a baby. I was referred to CHOP speech therapy by her physician so maybe you can see a speech therapist...just a thought

my son did not talk a lot until after he was around nineteen months old. he now speaks in full sentences for the most part. once he started going to the babysitter and was around kids his own age then he started talking a lot more. I would not be worried if he does not seem delayed in other areas. Are there any educational shows that he likes? Have him watch sesame street, super why or world world. They go over different words and numbers. Good luck. Make playdates for him to be with children with age. Sometimes,once they start talking the do not shut up,lol.
Happy Holidays.

I think you'd know if your child was tongue tied. My daughter had trouble latching on and we figured out that she had a slight tongue tie in the first few days of her life. The doc encouraged me to breast feed as much as I could, and as she got older, we all encouraged her to "stick out her tongue" to stretch it. We watched her language development right up until she was 2, but by then, she could touch her tongue to her chin, so she did "outgrow" it. I think the 3rd response you got - with the older one acting as "spokesperson", makes the most sense:)

M.,
I wouldn't worry about your son's not talking yet. All children are different.
My grandchildren (triplets) just turned three in Nov.. They just started talking just before turning three and are doing real well now. Still can't understand all they say but they are doing just fine.
Good luck and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Barbara

M.,

My two sons both have speech issues. My 7 year old is in first grade, and is doing well. There are some words and sounds that are unclear, but 95% of the time his speech is clear. My younger son is a different story. On both sides of the family there are speech issues, so it is no surprise that my boys are going through this. Tanner the younger one, is only saying 10-20 words, and he is 3 and a half. I put him in Early Intervention and he is now going to a preschool with speech emphasis. The speech therapist thinks he may have Apraxia. I noticed that another mom mentioned that. I discussed my concerns with our family doctor, and he wants Tanner to be evaluated by a pediatric neurologist. I am scared what the outcome will be, but this way we will know what is wrong with him. He will get the right therapy to develop his speech. In the last three years, I was told he could be Autistic, just have a speech delay, and now may have Apraxia. It has been scary, and very upsetting to be told all these things about your child. I also was told by people not to worry, b/c he will talk when he wants. My son, I don't think is tongue tied, but who knows, he could be. Please follow your instincts and have him checked by your family dr. After your son is checked, the dr. should be able to tell you where to go from there, if he or she feels there is a problem. I know some of the moms have meant well when they have told you not to worry, and let him talk in his own time, but what if there is a reason why he is not talking. Having him seen by his dr. will help you find the answers you are looking for and give you peace of mind.

Good Luck,

I have two boys and they are both tongue-tied, as is their father (and all of his siblings). I knew they were tongue-tied at birth...it was quite evident. We chose not to have it corrected (although thei cousin had hers clipped at her pediatrician shortly after birth). My older son (3.5) has not had his speech affected and our younger son (14 months) does not seem to be affected either (he has about 15 words).

Have you had your child checked by Early Intervention for speech delay? It's usually free for the evaluation and for the speech therapy. ENT won't tell you much unless there's a physical problem. Usually EI is the best route to go first.

My 22 year old son got checked at a young age, found he was 6 months behind but told me what to do at home myself and come back in 6 months. I did what they asked, came back and he was on target.

My 14 year old had a speech delay and got checked after his 3rd birthday. He was behind, found he had a Lateral Lisp, not like Cindy Brady where the tongue pushes against the front teeth, but the tongue flattens out the sides and sounds slushy more like Sylvester the Cat. He started the 4 year old preschool class at age 3 to model after the older kids and got his therapy there. He continued speech therapy through most of elementary school.

Out of the triplets, one son has a speech delay. At age 2, after his 2nd birthday, he started in home therapy, mostly through play at that age. We moved when he was about 2.5 and came to PA. In this area, not sure if it's for the entire state or not, but they do in home speech therapy for free until age 3. By their 3rd brithday they have to go out of the home and taken to the speech therapist. From age 3 to pre-kindergarten, they can get different levels of therapy, depending on their need, all free. My son got one on one therapy for 2 years and this year at age 5 (in pre-k) he goes Friday mornings to a speech pre-school, transportation provided a half hour away. There's no more than 6 children in the class and it's run like a regular pre-school but focused on using good speech. It's been great! Next year they'll transition his therapy to the school where he'll be attending kindergarten. He'll continue to get therapy through school until it's not needed anymore, like his older brother.

Contact your area Early Intervention to have him evaluated. They'll be able to tell you if it's a physical problem or an actual speech delay that needs therapy. That should be your first step.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarrisburgPAChat
events and chat within 2 hour radius

Happy Holidays.

Being tongue-tied is a term used for babies with tight or short frenulums. The frenulum is the piece of skin you can see under the tongue. It is usually noticed at birth because the baby's tongue may be slightly "heart shaped." In any case, frenulums can be snipped shortly after birth - a two minute procedure for newborns called a frenulectomy requiring no pains meds or sedation. This is often done to avoid speech problems later or problems with breast feeding. If it is not done, there is the chance of speech delay - but not always. Some people with tight frenulums have no problems with it. If your doc does say a frenulectomy is required- and your child is already 2 then general anesthesia will be used. That said, my son didn't 'start talking until he was 2 years and a couple months. He too had his ears checked and was evaluated by speech therapists...and the short of it was that he was perfectly fine - in fact he doesn't stop talking now. ANd when he was evaluated they said he's really advanced in receptive speech so sometimes when one thing excels another skill lags a bit and it's no big deal. The one thing you can look for is to see if the speech is an isolated issue. If your son is fine in every other way...he's probably going to be talking in a month or two. Einstein didn't talk until he was 3 - that's what everyone told me :)

I would be willing to bet that your 6 yo is the little enterperter and talks for your 2 yo. He isn't talking because he doesn't have to. That happened in my family and one day my brother said a whole sentence and everyone just about passed out. It normally isn't that he can't talk, he just doesn't have to...you and your older child are figuring out the points and grunts. He will talk one day all on his own since there doesn't seem to be anything medically wrong.

1 / 3