Special Gift to Expected Dad

I am expecting my first child in late Jan and would like to get my husband a special gift...something symbolic. We are already purchasing a camcorder together and I thought about books that he could read to our little-one when he/she arrives. Just wondering if anyone out there had any ideas to memorable gifts to capture this moment...becoming a Father.

I have 2 ideas
The first is a book called So you're going to be a dad by Peter Downey. It talk about fastherhood in a very funny way. My husband really like it.
The second I made my husband a shirt using iron on sheet. It said 1st time dad with the year below it. I left enough room so that when my daughter was born there there was space for her footprints. He got to wear it to work and show off.

For my first son, I got my husband a Daddy's diapering "tool" belt with all the necessary goodies - I saw several premade ones but chose to make it myself. With my second son, I got matching shirts for all three boys (Papa and the two brothers) each was royal blue and a sewed red capes on each and had their names embroidered on them - "The Dad", etc. They all looked like awesome superheroes. Good luck deciding on the perfect gift.

Last year (when I was pregnant with #2) I made my daddy-to-be a cd with songs geared towards fatherhood. He loved it! It took a long time to get a good list going but I ended up with 12 songs and it works out well.

I have 2 ideas

What about the Willow Tree figurine called new dad?

There's a hilarious book called, "Be prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads". I usually buy a copy for the Dad when I go to baby showers. Its a great book, both funny and educational. Its great for referencing and or just reading a page or two in the bathroom.
Heres a link, $10.80 on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Be-Prepared-Practical-Handbook-Dads...

I think all the other ideas are great and I didn't want to repeat any of them. I also wanted to mention a book I got my husband for his first Father's Day, which was two weeks after my son was born, it is called "Daddy Hugs". My son is now 2 1/2 and it's one of his favorite books and it's funny now b/c he sometimes only lets Daddy read it. He walks around saying "hugs, hugs" when he wants to hear the book. I know my husband loves it too.

Hi C.! I think I have the perfect little gift for you. I bought this for my husband for his 1st father's day and he really liked it. There is a line of figurines by Willow Tree and there is one with a man holding a newborn in his lap. It is simple yet it says it all :-) This line looks like carved wood so it is nice and masculine! It is a great gift for the new father and very reasonably priced! Good luck :-)

C.:
What a lovely idea, and how thoughtfull of you! :)
I LOVE the book "Love You For Always" by Robert Munsch. I can't read it without crying. It is a children's book about fathers with significant meaning, one that he can read to his little one.
Here is the link (I found it for under $5!)
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:vtMeBFohiwUJ:www.amaz...

Sorry about how long the link is! lol :)

My mother gave my husband a great children's book when I was almost due with our first child: "Because Your Daddy Loves You" by Andrew Clements. It's a GREAT book that quickly became our daughter's favorite (and ONLY Daddy reads it to her!). Or, check Amazon and google Daddy or Father children's books - there are many, and it's a great way to build a lasting, special bond between father & child.

I gave my husband the wooden Willow Tree (Demdaco) statue of a father holding a newborn...he loved it.

Best wishes!

1 / 3