SPD- Pelvic Pain at 29 Weeks

I have had a bad pain in the middle of my pubic bone throughout most of my pregnancy, but now at 29 weeks it is a constant pain, as soon as I get up in the morning! I have a 16 month old daughter that I enjoy playing with and taking walks with, but it is getting incredibly difficult to ignore this pain. The doctor told me it is called SPD and that there really isn't anything I can do about it. Anyone experience this??? ANy suggestions?

I decided to go to a chiropractor and it is totally working!!! I am going to an amazing chiropractor, Dr. Carrie Tananka in Brea and she specializes in pregnant women. I have only had 2 adjustments and I can already tell the difference. If anyone is experiencing any pelvic pain or lower back pain it is NOT just "pregnancy pain" it can be treated, don't just live with it!!!!!!

I had that. What helped me immensely was FEndelkreiss by a trained preggie-instructor. It actually gave me 4 days of relief and then I had to suffer 3 days until my next appointment.

I am 28 weeks PG right now and I've had pelvic pain the entire pregnancy. It tends to "move" from front to back and down my legs, but it is very constant. I started seeing a chiropractor at the beginning who specializes in pre- and post-natal adjustments. She is really helping to keep my body in line, though I still have some pain on a daily basis, it is at least tolerable. Also, she sold me a special stabilization belt which keeps my hips aligned and she says it will prevent the pregnant waddle as I get bigger. Cherie Smith, Back to Balance Chiropractic, ###-###-#### (Encinitas). www.drcheriesmith.com

S.P.D - SYMPHYSIS PUBIS DYSFUNCTION. Been there and done that! I have four kids, and when I was pregnant with my last one, I had that kind of pain. It is due to the ligaments that hold the pelvic bones together separating too soon. It normally separates/stretches out during labor and childbirth in order for the baby to come out more easily. When it happens early, it can be very painful, as you are learning! My doctor told me that it happens more often when a woman has had a previously large baby or babies, OR when a woman gets pregnant within 12-18 months of childbirth, which is the case with you. I was in Switzerland when I went through it, with wonderful health care available, and was sent to physical therapy twice a week, which helped. The physical therapist suggested getting one of those exercise balls - a big one that I could sit on, and that helped a lot, too. Try not to go up and down stairs too often, and absolutely do not ride a bike. Unfortunately, walking a lot is not good either. The pain is trying to tell you that. I was worried that the problem might continue after birth but it did not. Hang in there! Here are some other recommendations:
• Getting into a car by sitting on the seat first, and then lifting your legs inside. Reverse this procedure for getting out.
• Getting dressed while sitting on a chair rather than standing.
• Always having the knees together firmly when turning over in bed.
• Rest as much as possible. Take the body’s weight off the pelvis when you can. Try to have some daily bed rest.
• Where possible, sit down to do daily tasks like food preparation.
• Avoid lifting.
• Avoid the breaststroke if you go swimming.
• Try to avoid twisting the upper body. Think ahead, turn and face the thing you are doing.
• Avoid straddling positions e.g. sit on a bidet as you would on a toilet.
• Be aware of your body and the way it responds to certain activities. Try to avoid the activities that result in pain. These may be anything from walking long distances to hovering or pushing supermarket trolleys. Avoid sudden jerky movements.
• For those whose pain when climbing stairs is too excruciating to bear, it may well be advisable to go up and down stairs using your bottom, and lifting yourself up or down each stair with your hands. This is fairly easy on the downward journey, but quite difficult going up. Bearing this in mind, it would be best to make sure that you only needed to make one trip up and down the stairs each day, and plan for rest periods (and possibly assistance if this can be safely achieved) on the upward trip.
• Pelvic floor exercises may help in relieving pelvic pain. These exercises (also called Kegel exercises) are designed to help strengthen the hammock-like muscles which support the pelvic organs. Better control over these muscles could help take some of the weight bearing responsibility away from the pelvic girdle and ligaments. Consult a health care professional about pelvic floor exercises with regard to your particular circumstances.

I have been there done that recently. My little guy is 4 months old and the pelvic pain from pregnancy is still fresh in my mind. Toward the end it got so unbearable I couldnt sleep, walk, sit or do much of anything. That was all until I saw a chiropractor that specializes in the Webster technique. After a few visits I was back to my 'normal' self (if there is such a thing during pregnancy). Your pelvis gets out of alignment sometimes during pregnancy but that does not mean you can't deliver vaginally. If you don't correct it though, it can cause a prolonged labor for the baby to navigate through your pelvis. It helped to continue going till the birth and even a few weeks afterwards. I hope you are able to find some relief and enjoy the remainder of your pregnancy.

J. :)

I had the same thing with my third(4 months ago). Go to Babies R' Us and buy a pregnancy brace. it goes around your waist and under your belly with a strao that goes across your belly. It took almost all of the pain away. Good luck!

As soon as your baby is born I'd go get a complete physical and rule out anything else. I'd also let the doctor know that what he's doing (nothing) is not working and ask him to get creative! Good luck.

Hi L.-
Ouch I had the same thing this spring starting when I was about 20 weeks along. My doctor said the same thing, nothing you can do about it. It hurt mostly when I got out of the car or bed, so what helped that is keeping my legs together as I got up so I didn't strain the sore area. Good news is that it went away almost immediately after delivery! Hopefully you have someone to help you witht he little one until then! Tylenol was somewhat helpful, but I didn't bother with that too much unless I had a really hard day. I hope you feel better soon!

supportive preg hose or 'spanks' helped me... also, try to keep your legs together when getting in/out of bed or the car, etc... REST as much as you possibly can. maybe take shorter walks w/your little one. hang in there, this will pass once you give birth

I used to have horrible varicos veins and pelvic pain. What helped me was wearing the pregnancy support hose. It doesn't look pretty but it puts just the right amount of pressure to hold you in!Be sure to ask your doctor if he thinks it will help and sometimes you can get a perscription for the hose! Hope it works, I know it is painful!

1 / 3