Spanish Immersion Program...

We have this Spanish immersion program available by lottery at my kids school, where they learn one whole subject in ONLY Spanish. Your child is automatically entered into the lottery every year, then you can opt out if you don't want your child included.

My 7 year old learned some Spanish last year, though I'm STILL not sure if this was a normal Spanish class that everyone learns, or if it was the immersion program. I never asked, she was happy, whatever.

Well my 6 year old just received a letter in the mail saying she was chosen for the program. GREAT!! BUT... what if my other kid doesn't get picked as well? On some level, I think I'm feeling guilty if one gets an opportunity that the other does not. Does that make sense? They are only 1 grade apart, 6 year old's in 1st grade, 7 year old is in 2nd.

What to do? Wait and see if the older sibling is picked as well? Let the younger continue with the program even if big sis is not?

Let the younger one continue it. The older sis maybe upset, but it's not fair to the younger sibling to miss out because of that. My mom did that to me, I was invited to a program for gifted children, but because my sister was never in it she didn't let me. I'm still mad about it today...ok, not really, but I do remember it. Now that we are adults my sister was ticked when she found out about it. My mom said she didn't want to hurt my sisters feelings, my sisters response. "So you hurt J.'s instead?"
Don't think you can hide it either, my mom just didn't respond, and when school started my teacher asked me why I wasn't in the program. Ooops teacher tattled. :)

Life's not fair. Nothing in your children's lives is going to be exactly the same. Don't deny your child this opportunity if both you and she want it.

Continue with the program...she can teach her sister...how cool would that be?

I truly believe that having more than one language under your belt is a good thing!!!

If the 6yr old wants to do it, let her do it. Who knows if the older child doesnt get picked this year she might next year.

Ask your school if they give priority to siblings on the waiting list. If so, your 7 year old may have a better chance of getting a cancellation spot even if her name is not picked during the lottery.

My youngest was in a full Spanish immersion program from K through 5th grade, after which we transferred her to another school. If you have the chance for immersion for a young child TAKE IT! My girl's now entering her senior year in high school, finds every language easy and is an honor student. The extra language exposure was nothing but wonderful.

BTW, none of my other children had this opportunity and none of them think anything bad that the youngest did. For what it's worth, my youngest 2 are two years apart in school, but only 14 months apart in age.

Go for it.

teaching a child in only one language, when that is not their families everyday language, is just not a good ideal.i mean, yeah sure learning every day spainish can help in the grocery store.. maybe. but.. DMV? no, i dont think so. think bigger picture, and opt out if the other child isnt offered the same class
K. h.

1 / 3