Spacers for Teeth

My daughter is 8 and her Ped Dr mentioned to me about taking her to the dentist for spacers. Her teeth are coming in over lapped and her mouth is small. Can anybody give me advice on what to do before i call her dentist? Or do i need to call an orthodontist?

When my daughter was eight I had the same problem. I heard of a lot of different ways to fix, but I ended up at an orthodontist in Largo, Dr. Harrison (I think he is in St. Pete as well). He recommended that we pull her baby teeth to make room for the adult teeth coming in, and then we had to have 1 adult tooth pulled in the long run to make room for them all. I know it doesn't make much sense, and a lot of pulling, but after the baby teeth were pulled (4), he other teeth straightened out and she looked like she had word braces they were sooo straight! 2 years later we had to do the permanent ones (4) which is a small molar which she can easily live without, and she is now 11 and her teeth have the perfect amount of space, and in my opinion she won't need to have braces either! He is pricy, but will work out a payment plan for you, and the first visit is free!!! That way you can decide if you like what he recommends. Good Luck.

I work for a general dentist. Your daughter will need to see an orthodontist. So go directley to them. I would get a referral from your own dentist, if you have one. If not, ask around. She will do fine!

My 13 year old is getting braces this year. Her dentist refered us to an orthodontist, and they waved the initial consult. Although I thought she needed braces a long time ago, the orthodontist said we should wait until she had lost a few more baby teeth. We have a friend who put braces on her daughter at 8, and again at 15, because the teeth moved a lot. The 8 year old also was not motivated to wear her retainer after she got her braces off. Maybe if mom was after her more to wear her retainer she would not have had to get braces a second time. Ask your dentist next time you are getting a cleaning.

take her to her dentist, and he/she should be able to do it. ours did. she should be going anyway for her 6 months checkups, surprising the dentist didnt mention it then. our dentist put them in my daughters mouth and it was a great help, may have prevented her from needing braces. Good luck!

It seems a bit premature to take action when her jaw isn't done growing. Her teeth are going to shift a lot on their own over the next several years. She should be seeing a dentist regularly for cleanings; so you may want to ask him what his opinion is next time you go in.

It really matters on her mouth. If her mouth is large enough spacers is all she needs but if not then they need to get a mouth widener. I would take her to both.

take her to an orthodontist...if you live by clearwater there is an awesome orthodontist his name is dr.bill ###-###-#### he's amezing with little ones! hope everything works out good!

Skip going to the dentist and take her straight to the orthodonist.

I would start w/ the Dentist who should be able to recommend a good orthodontist. I listened to my Dentist and had spacers put on my youngest son's teeth at which time they also installed an appliance in the roof of his mouth because his palate was deformed from thumb sucking! He was 9 at the time. He only had to wear this for 9 mos. and he has beautiful teeth now and may not need braces at all!

1 / 3