Space Between Front Teeth

My son is 11 months old and he has a space between his front teeth. He does not have a space between his bottom teeth. His front teeth came in about 3 or 4 months ago and I was hoping as they came in that they would grow closer together! Should I be concerned? Will they move closer together? He already has the two teeth on either side of the front teeth, in fact, those came in before the front teeth did.

My son's dentist told us that it is good to have spaces between teeth as that means they have a better chance of the permanent teeth having enough room. So no braces. He said spaces are good. It's when they are all crowded that there might not be enough room for the permanent ones..

This is not something to "worry" about. They may move closer together but it's not that important. They will come out in the next 6 years and then you will have the permanent teeth to watch and worry about. If at 11 or 12 they are not properly aligned, it's time for the orthodontist to do his job. V.

It is normal and great! My son who just turned a year and daughter who is 4 have the exact same set up. Our dentist said the more space the better!

hi L..
i am a dentist so dont be concerned- it is great your son has space b/t his front upper teeth. remember the permanent teeth are going to be much larger so space b/t the baby teeth will allow the permanent teeth to have more space to erupt into.
let me know if u have other ?'s.
-dr. L.

When the rest of the teeth come in, they will push together--I wouldn't worry about it. My daughter's front teeth didn't fully come together until sometime between her 1st and 2nd molars (maybe at about 2 years old or so) That little gap makes for an adorable smile, in my opinion:)

hi L.,
from what i understand, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. those teeth will eventually fall out, leaving a nice space for the newer, bigger teeth. this could mean less crowding. my son who is 8 had a space between his, and now that he has his big teeth, there isn't a space, and they are nice and straight...i don't think it's anything to worry about.

L.- My middle son had a significant space between his teeth when he was little- they have since grown closer together (he is almost 6 now)The denstist told me they actually prefer that they have a space so it gives room for the other teeth to come in without the risk of crowding...I would not wory about it too much for now- my husband has a gap between his two front teeth and I actually like it- it's distinctive and unique...
My bet is- that his teeth will grow closer together as he gets more teeth in..
good luck to you

space is good. close together is bad. he needs the room so that as more teeth cme in he has room for them.

1 / 3