Soy Protein Allergy

I have an 8 week old son who is solely breastfed. He is in the 97% for weight and 50% for height. I cant help but think, however that he is allergic to something that is being passed through my breastmilk. He has several bouts of crankiness and has a rash on his thighs, upper back and face. We went to the doctor yesterday and he said it was just a baby rash and that I shouldnt worry about it. I still think something else is wrong. I do not eat dairy or wheat products as I am lactose and wheat intolerant. I was hoping with this diet, the breastmilk would be free of allergens for my son. However, I am beginning to wonder if it is a soy protein intolerance. Has anyone out there had this issue?

That is a normal rash. I have two young children, 1 and 2, and also babysit a 1-yr-old, 2-yr-old, and five-yr-old... Many of my young ones have had that rash come and go in their baby days.

It is completely normal. All you can do is put lotion on it when it itches (if it gets dry and cracky it will usually itch)... but it will go away after time don't worry.

My son had a rash like that for awhile when he was that age. It went away on its own. I didn't change my diet at all (I love milk!) :oP

R.,

Baby's do seem to have a lot of rashes - if you think it is an allergic reaction to soy - try rice or goat milk.

It could actually even be some additive in the soy or a way that it is processed that is causing the problem. I know several people who swore they were allergic to soy yet when they tried the brand of soy that I recommended, they did just fine. There are many health benifits to soy and to get the most out of what you consume - you need to research how the product is made. You want to look for a soy product that is water-washed, not alcohol-washed (because that washes away a good majority of the benefical isoflavones). You want a dry soy that is prepared at time of use to eliminate addtives/preservatives, etc.

Another suggested cause of the rash, and one that is really very common in babies and small children is an allergic reaction to the laundry products used to clean the clothes and bed linens. I have been using 'green' cleaners for 25 years now and when my boys were babies - I used the same detergent to wash their clothes as I used to wash mine!! Besides rashes (one called Bounce Blush), some laundry products have been know to agrevate allergies/asthma in small children, cause coughing spells that keep them awake at night, etc.

I have always believed that you need to listen to your body - in this case trust your instincts - Doctors don't know everything. It may take awhile to figure it out but it will be worth it and your child will be happier.

Hope this helps - S.

I had a similar problem w/ my little guy. He skin tested positive to milk and nuts, but not the soy, so kept eating it initially in my diet, but he had eczema all the time. When I cut out the soy in my diet it cleared right up. He never had a severe reaction to breast milk, but would get hives if he directly ingested anything he was allergic to. Found that I could nurse him if I avoided the ingredients but once he was on solids we had to be super strict because he will react even to trace amounts of this stuff. by the way, this was the best diet I've ever been on and the only one I've ever stuck with!

R.,

My son was both soy and cows milk intollerant, and it was a pain. However, I think that generally if there is a severe allergy, there is vomitting involved after eating.

If you truly feel there is a problem, you might want to see about visiting a pediatric GI doctor. There is a pretty simple blood test that can tell about milk allergies in infants.

R. L. - my children have had the same experience with their skin. My husband and I have sensitive skin so it would be expected that our children would as well. So I purchased hypoallergenic everything soap, lotion, wipes etc. and still rashes on their legs, arms, and especially their faces. The only thing that has worked for us is paraben free and laurel sulfate free products ie: Burts bees for babies and JASON brand baby products. S. M.

Mama,
It is common to worry about your children but..don't let your worry come into your complete enjoyment of these days. Usually, I would trust mama's feelings but then looking at his weight percentage, he is doing good. Many babies are "fussy". You carried him for 9 months in a warm place and he is not able to voice his complaints except in crankiness. Baby rashes are common...the rubbing of clothes and sheets..perhaps laundry detergent..softner...
Breast milk is the best for baby, continue to nurse him, make a diary of what you are eating...watch the onions and spices..see if there may be a connection though many mamas from other cultures seem to be able to eat spicy food without problems..but is there is an alergy-you might be able to pin point it with a food diary
You seem to be doing great on nursing..relax a little..that really makes baby cranky...he will pick up on your concerns
Enjoy your baby today...Blessings

It doesn't really sound like a soy protein allergy. Usually, there are more GI symtpoms with food intolerance like bloating, diarrhea, bloody stools, vomiting, etc. It actually sounds like a skin dermatitis of some sort. Try washing him only every other day and put baby lotion on him. Wash his clothes in Dreft. Both my children are EXTREMELY sensitive skinned. I use to give my daughter a bath everyday when she was a baby and she developed something like exczema due to dry skin from washing her too much. Since then, I only wash my babies a few times a week during the winter and every other day during the summer. Also, try to avoid polyester type of clothing and stick to cotton products.

R., your doc could be right, but he/she could be wrong. I was told "not to worry about it" and my daughter, who was allergy prone by genetics, ended up having problems. Later pediatricians told me it DID matter what I put through my breast milk. Even if your doc is right, it can't hurt to try removing the soy protein from your own diet and see what happens. Soy is in the peanut family, and peanuts are a big allergen for babies. If that doesn't work, try removing other things from your diet, or take the time to do the non-allergenic diet thing, where you basically start with rice, chicken, green beans, applesauce, bananas and add in a food every three or four days, to see what happens to your son.

If you need protein, try Rice protein. I use and prefer it. My daughter, who had dairy, egg, citrus and nut allergies from infancy on, highly preferred the rice products (milk, ice cream, etc) over the soy products anyway.

Good luck to you. I know it's distressing.

1 / 3