Sour Smelling 4 Year Old

My 4 year old son has recently started to have a sour smell about him, and I'm perplexed as to the cause of it. He gets a bath every night with Suave Kids body wash and shampoo, I also use Noxema on his arms because of a skin condition. He brushes his teeth twice a day and wears fresh clothing every day. I'm not too sure what's causing the smell, or how to fix it. His preschool teacher called me today about it and said the other kids are starting to notice it as well, so I'd like to fix this situatuion before it gets worse. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just an update...FINALLY had the dr's appointment today. The "official" opinion is that it's just bad BO. I'm susposed to use deoderant and cologne on him to mask the smell. Not too sure if I agree with the doctor's opinion, but we'll see what happens.

Sounds like maybe some type of food allegery??? Try Karen Marshall, she is an RN who practices NAET, an alternative to traditional testing and diagnosing. She is located off 37 between fishers and Noblesville.

Another option would be to use an anti-bacterial soap. There may be bacteria living on his skin causing an odor. It's worth a shot.

Have you checked his feet? If he doesn't wear socks (since it's been summer), his feet may have a foul smell. Does his breath smell? If he has decay, even though you brush his teeth, the problem may be more than that. If that is not the case, I would have my pediatrician check it out, foul smell may indicate infection.

Hi S.!

My friend's son had a similar scent when he was an infant...it was an ear infection. it was a surprise because he didn't shhow any outward symptoms. You may want to have that checked out. just a thought! good luck

You might want to take him to the doctor or atleast call them. It could be something medical.

My first child started smelling like sour milk and I couldn't figure out what it was either! Being totally new at mothering at the time, I started sniffing around and found that it was coming from behind her ears! I would wipe back there with a washcloth during bathtime, but while taking a closer look, she had a crease back there that actually had to be washed by pulling on her ear a little in order to expose it. It was stinky though! Maybe it's something similar like that.

When I taught Preschool we had a little girl smell the same way. She would chew on her shirt or her hair and it would smell awful. If he hasn't had a check up - it is worth the time. He may have an ear infection or sinus infection too!

Honey you should have him seen by a doctor. Not sure what's causing it, but you'll find that odors that won't go away could be the sign of illness.

have you checked his shoes? some times if they get wet or even if his feet sweat really bad, it can start to make them smell really bad. if thats the case, try washing them in a little bleach water and drying them thoroughly...then sprnkle some baby powder or corn starch in his shoes.

1 / 3