Sore Throat - Voice Almost Gone - What Do You Use?

Last night my oldest son had a Little League baseball game. We went - I was fine. During the game my throat became VERY scratchy and sore (thought it was the pollen). When we got home, I took a shower and did the NeilMed sinus rinse (I have to do that to keep my allergies down)...it got increasingly worse....I popped a Halls Cough Drop and they usually work for me.

it's my throat (not where the uvula is but back from there down to where a man's adams apple would be). My voice is almost gone. No fever. Coughing is getting more frequent too.

So mama's and papa's - what do you do for a sore throat that came on like gang busters?

I went to the Doctor yesterday - they gave me a nebulizer treatment and said I had bronchitis. I felt like doggie doo-doo all day...as it went from just a sore throat to a hacking cough....it came on like gang-busters - they gave me a Z-Pack and guifen---sorry - still not functioning with codeine and I spent the night in bed. I think I was asleep by 9PM.

Thanks for all the ideas!!!

"voice almost gone.." Bob gets a break! LOL ;)
A warm tea and rest are probably the best things for ya.
Take it easy.

When I get like that, hot tea (with lemon and honey) and a heating pad on my neck/throat help me feel better.
If I don't have to drive anywhere, I add a little brandy to the tea as well.

Take it easy.

Perfect timing! It is a National Day of Silence according to my daughter's LGBT volunteer group she works for in school! She's trying it, and beLIEVE me, it ain't no Easy Feat for her to shut her mouth for 24 hrs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8kNYV5EAVw&feature=pl...

Allergies are BRUTAL this year. When they're this bad I lose my voice too. I'm sure our husbands look forward to it every year!

I second the tea and a good honey, local if possible.

Otherwise, just rest it.

:)

Wait, and maybe gargle with warm salt water, or warm water with baking soda?

Honey lemon tea. When the throat is particularly scratchy, I take a spoon of honey to coat the throat. Also, avoid using your voice as much as possible for a couple of days. No whispering either. That aggravates the vocal chords as much (sometimes more) as talking regularly.

The weather has been doing weird things lately. (It's Spring! It's Summer! Let's not say goodbye to Winter quite yet!) That, coupled with being outdoors and probably hooting and hollering a bit at your son's baseball game.... you've probably aggravated your vocal chords. The best thing for that is to rest them. Also, wear a scarf. Doesn't have to be heavy. Just something to make sure your neck stays warm.

Feel better.

Fisherman's Friend - almost pure licorice and very soothing.

Updated

Cider vinegar and honey. Mix. Equal parts. Drink. Yak.

I usually drink a TON of emergen-c (2-3 a day), lots of zinc, honey and if it's really bad then I will break down and take some motrin. I hope you feel better soon! Being sick is no fun. I'm still on antibiotics from my pneumonia and I still don't feel 100% yet.

I agree with Kristina that it could be laryngitis. I used to be a teacher. Whenever I used the chalkboard a lot or over used my voice in class, I would end up with a sore throat like what you have described. I found out I was allergic to chalk dust. After I stopped teaching, I didn't have as many bouts with laryngitis. I would rest your voice as much as possible. Avoid whispering. Whispering is very hard on your vocal chords, and can cause more damage. If your throat doesn't feel better in a few days, I would see a doctor. Whenever I had sore throats like that, I would gargle salt water or mouthwash several times a day. I also drank ginger and honey. Grate fresh gingerroot. Put about two tablespoons in your cup and pour boiled water over it. Add honey to taste. Stir and drink after cooled down a bit. You'll have to stir it several times as you sip so the ginger doesn't settle on the bottom. Too much ginger on the bottom is going to leave you with a very spicy mouthfull at the end. Hope you feel better soon.

1 / 3