Sore Nipples with 11 Month Old

Hey Momma's,
I have exclusively been nursing my 11 month old since she was born. She now has 4 teeth and I have sore nipples. She is not biting me but I think her latch may have changed. It feels like I'm nursing a newborn everytime....The pain is off the charts. I have been using lanolin, change the position of my daughter...I just dont know what to do. I am at my whits end

Thrush was the first thing that came to my mind. My daughter had thrush, but my nipple looked fine. It was only one nipple that hurt like the dickens, couldn't nurse on that side. She was 6 mos. old. I even showed my family doctor, and he agreed the nipple looked fine, we couldn't figure out what was wrong. My daughter had thrush, but my nippled looked the same as always. It wasn't until I called my ob that I was diagnosed. Unfortunately, it wasn't until I also developed mastitis from not nursing on that one side.
Good luck, and congrats for nursing for 11 mos.
R.

I am in the EXACT same position with my 11-month-old. For me, it isn't thrush, she is actually latching on teeth first; I've almost passed out from pain! I called the lactation consultant (Emma Davis @ Kettering Medical Center if you are from the area) and she recommended Dr. Jack Newman's Nipple Cream. You have to get a prescription for it and get it compounded. The Medicine Shoppe compounds medicine and they called my OBGYN to get the prescription-- Emma Davis gave me the ingredients and I called the Medicine Shoppe first. I was not able to get it filled b/c of our co-pay (it would have cost $65.00) so the pharmacist gave me a combination of over-the-counter stuff that was similar. I don't have the ingredient list with me but if you would like them, send me a message and I will find them for you.

Emma also recommended Ameda Comfortgels (http://www.amazon.com/Ameda-17262-ComfortGel-Pads/dp/B000...) I have been using those and they make me feel a little bit better.

I know this adds up money-wise but as you know, the pain is unbearable and, at this point, I am willing to try anything.

I wish I had other suggestions for you. I have tried changing positions, too, and at this point am just trying to avoid the major holes in my breast-- and I do mean holes. I lather on the lansinoh and have cut down on nursing to 3-4 times a day. She turns one on Friday and, this sounds awful, I am hoping she just magically stops nursing; my first quit cold turkey three days before she turned one. Good luck and, if you have time, please shoot me off a message if you find something that works for you!

All the suggestions about thrush and contacting your doctor are good. Also contact La Leche League (LLL)--they "wrote the book" on breastfeeding (seriously! "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding"). You can call 1-800-LA LECHE for a referral to a leader near you, or check out their website.

You do NOT, repeat DO NOT have to wean your baby at this time. Many children nurse well beyond getting their first teeth. You can ask the LLL folks about that too.

Kudos to you for giving your daughter the best start in life by nursing her! I hope you figure out what's going on soon

K. Z.

Look at your nipples and see if they seem to be red and shiny looking when they are dry. This is a tell-tale sign of thrush. Also if your daughter is having a hard time nursing and keeps pulling off, it may be because her mouth is sore from the thrush. If all else fails, check with your OB/GYN. If it is thrush, it is easily treated with an oral anti-fungal med for her and an anti-fungal cream for you.

Once the teeth come in, nursing is hard for everyone! I would wean her and continue to pump if you want her to have breastmilk still. She is at the age of drinking normal milk, so she should be fine. My son weaned himself at 6mo right before his first teeth came in and I was so thankful!

Is it possible that you have an infection? I had one when my son was about a year old. If the pain continues contact your doc.

Google "Jack Newman All-Purpose Nipple Ointment). Take the "recicpe" to your OB or Pedi and have them write a prescription. You have to have an apothecary who can make it because it's a compound they put together on the spot. You should probably call around and ask if places can make it before going to the trouble of getting the script.

Then, work on her latch. Any time it feels wrong, ask her to stop and open her mouth wider and relatch. It will take some time, but she's young enough you should be able to get it fixed.

Good for you for wanting to continue!!

1 / 3