Son Won't Allow Hair Cut

My almost-three year old son will not allow his hair to be cut. We were able to get it cut twice with lots of screaming and fighting (at a salon), but the last time he was so violent in resisting the stylist was scared she'd hurt him. I've tried to cut it on the sly when he's in the bathtub, but the second he hears that scissor noise, it's all over. At the salon, we've tried it all: holding him in our laps, letting him see Daddy get a cut first, trying to distract him with a new toy or candy. I kind of like his hair on the longish side, because it's really wavy and adorable, but at some point it will have to be cut. I don't want to buzz it all off because it really is lovely hair. Any suggestions that have worked for you?

Hello S.,
Have you tried allowing him to cut a dolls hair? My daughter was the same way. I bought her a doll with long hair as well as some small scissors (made for children, but still sharp enough to cut the doll's hair) We pretended the doll was getting a hair cut, used a piece of material for a cape and I helped her give the dolls "1st hair cut". She saw it wasn't scary and decided it was ok to get her hair cut too. Good Luck!

Have you tried to take him to one of the kid-specific salons? They are amazing. There is so much to distract them they don't have time to put up a huge fight (usually). It might be worth a try - although it can be a little spendy. My girlfriend took her 3 yr old son, who was completely out of control for all prior cuts, and he did pretty well!

Good Luck!!!!

try "Snip & snap" for kids on Bell between Reems and Parkview.
They specialize in kids haircuts and do portraits. You can get just a cut if you want though. They have a play area and video games, an aquarium and any movie or dvd that the kids want to watch. Most of the stylists are trained to deal with scared children. Good Luck.

do you have to cut it? obviously he doesn't want it cut. what would be the problem if you don't cut his hair? i am more of the "consensual living" type of person - i try to respect my little one's wishes as much as possible even though some would ask why since she is "only" 13 months old. but she is a person and just because she is young doesn't mean her opinion of what she likes/dislikes is any less valid than mine. i am sure one day he will want it cut and until then i would just enjoy his beautiful hair.

I had the same problem with cutting toe nails on my little girl. I actually let her cut one of my fingernails with the clipper and she felt much more comfortable with the process. Maybe if you let him cut a little of his own hair he might feel a little more in control of the situation? Just be prepared for a little bit of a funny looking spot, but it will grow back :) BUT also make sure he knows that he can only use scissors on his hair is with an adult present! Good luck :)

My 2 1/2 year old son is the very same way. The way that I have found to do it is to keep it longer such as the style today and trim it every once in a while when he is taking his nap. I wait until he is deeply asleep then just carefully trim it. There are times where it takes 2 days to cut because he wakes up in the middle of it, but even then it is less stressful for both me and him. You could try cutting it at night as well if he dosent take a nap. Hope this helps and good luck.

We are frequent visitors to the hair salon. My son has tons of hair and had his first haircut at 8 months old. We have been just about every other month since then and he is now four. We have tried every hair salon on this planet and it never matters where we take him, he has a fit! (I did the same thing when I was a child!)

Last November, we needed to get my son's haircut. We were leaving the next day to go to Disneyland and it was 7:00 at night! We went to three salons and they were all busy. We ended up going to Supercuts. My son never moved, never cried, he didn't kick and scream like always. I about fell off my rocker! I couldn't believe it! TO make a long story short, I think he just matured! I also did not go over to the chair with him, I watched from the waiting area. I really don't know what the difference was, but last month when his bangs were starting to go in his eyes he said, "Mom, I need to go to Supercuts!" I just think he will outgrow it and until then keep trying different salons until you find one he feels comfortable at!

Your son is 2. He will change. I would keep the first experience positive - it's not worth the trauma. Use conditioner and put it in a pony tail. If you can't stand that, some malls have places specifically for kids. They're a little Disney-ish for my taste, but could be worth it for you. Lots of distractions and people who are used to kids. My husband cut off my son's ponytail when he was 3. He was so upset about his hair looking awful and uneven, he let a friend "clean it up". lol

We started our kids haircuts at 4 months so they were used to it. My gut is that you'll have to let him cut it himself....yes, give him the scissors, so he sees how cool it is (!) and how it doesn't hurt. IF, he promises to let you "fix" the rough spots when he's done.
You may have to get over the longer cut and admit he might need a buzz in the end (it grows back quickly.) You can give him a long buzz with a long comb (guide) on the end of the clippers. That can be done - his whole head - in a matter of a minute or less. That can be the fixing part. I think if he has an active role in cutting his hair, at least until he's over his fear, you'll find he can tolerate the "fixing" part alot better.
And, of course, bribes and rewards are a must for this type of a transition....good luck! I can't wait to see what works.

Hello S.,

Have you tried any of the kid salons yet? They have cars for them to sit in and they have cartoons playing right at their station. It helps to keep them distracted. We've gone to Cool Cuts 4 Kids.

1 / 3