Son Woke up with Rash

Hello,

My 23 month old son woke up with dots all over his body, except for his hands and feet. He also has a low grade fever (99.8). I don't think its the Roseola virus, he's had it and he didn't have a high fever. Any ideas? I don't want to take him to the doctor, unless I have to b/c of fear of him picking up something at the office. He isn't itching and he doesn't seem to be bothered by the rash. TIA!

Thanks for all the responses. It seems that he had a viral rash. He had a fever for three days. The rash started on his face and then moved down his body disappearing in that order. The rash itched, which was the worse part. He was up all night, despite lotions and Benadryl. Thanks again for all the responses. I'm so glad that I didn't take him to the doctor and expose him to a whole new set of germs!

Here's some helpful info. I found.

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,6047,00.html

Hope it helps.

Hi there:

Welcome to the week of Chicken Pox.

Bust out some calamine to calm itching if needed but otherwise all you can do is wait it out!

I for sure would call the doctor for an appointment today. You need to find out what caused it.

Take him to the Dr. It could be scarletina which is strep and can be very seriouis. My son had that. I didn't want to take him to the Dr thinking he's rashy. He didn't really have a fever either. It's a good thing I did. It's easily treatable with antibiotics. If it's not treated, it can be serious. Better safe than sorry.

My son woke up with something that sounds similar when he was just over a year (he's 3 now). Red spots/splotches all over his body, including his hands and feet--in between fingers and toes, the works! Low grade fever, no itching, he still ate/drank/played like everything was normal. I took him to our pedi same day it occurred and she wasn't sure what it was either, allergic reaction she guessed...not Fifth's, not Roseola, not Chicken Pox, not Measels. Anyway, we just gave him Benedryl (because she said his spots were "impressive"--he was a sight!) and Tylenol (for any discomfort) regularly for a few days and it cleared up overnight.

If you're really worried, at least give your pedi a call. No harm in that and it would help your piece of mind. Good luck to your little one and hope he's all fixed soon!

I would give it a few days maybe but if it does not go away take him in to the Dr. My son had a rash this year and I thought it was just a heat rash and since he was 10 really didn't show it to me till he just couldn't take it anymore and I ended up having to take him to a dermatologist for it.

Good luck and God Bless

Call your pedi and talk to the nurse. My 25 month old gets all kinds of rashes. She has had roseola, but there are rashes that are allergic reactions, viral, fifth's disease, etc. Whenever she gets a rash, we give her a little bit of Benadryl (per the doctor's office) and put cortaid on the rash if is it not sub-dermal. If he does not have a high fever, itching, difficulty breathing or seem uncomfortable, he is probably fine. I always called the pedi and describe the rash and any other symptoms, just in case.

the fever is not that big of a deal since it lowgrade. Kids that age tend run a higher temp than adults sometimes anyway. The spots could be an allergy. Mabye wait another day to see if starts to clear up. If not maybe call the nurse and see what she says over the phone. For some reason this sounds familiar to me like one of my kids had this and i used lotion for dry skin and it cleared up.

My daughter got the same thing when she was about 11 months old. She never had a fever, but had a rash of little red dots all over her body. The doctor said it was just a viral rash (similar to Roseola) and it would go away on its own. It never seemed to bother her, but the doctor said we could give her Benadryl if she was itching. Since it was a virus, there was nothing the doctor could give her. The doctor told me it would be bad for about 2-3 days and then take about a week for the rash to go away.

You might want to call the doctor just to let them know and make sure they don't want to see your son, but I agree with not wanting to take your son to the doctor if it isn't necessary.

I would take him in to be seen today...before he gets worse over the weekend and the dr's office is closed.

Last friday, my 4 year old started getting a rash and slight swelling on his face - no fever or any other symptoms. I took him to Cooks Urgent Care and they said he was having an allergic reaction and to give him benadryl. After an entire weekend of benadryl he kept getting worse, but still no fever or other symtoms. His rash moved all over his body and his eyes and lips swelled really bad. Called the dr twice over the weekend and nurse told me to just continue giving the benadryl. Monday I took him to the dr and they said it was scarlatina. He started amoxicillin on Monday, but we have had a terrible week! Worst rash I have ever seen and he's been miserable!

1 / 3