Son with Asthma Has Persistent Croup Sounding Cough?

My son is 3 1/2 and was recently diagnosed with asthma and allergies (outdoor pollens). I have noticed over the past year whenever he comes down with a cold, it is accompanied by a "croup" sounding cough that lasts for a few days. I am thinking this croup sound I hear is due to his asthma. Does anyone else have kids with coughs that sound like croup? He is currently taking Zyrtec which has managed his runny nose, but not his cough. The doctor recently prescribed Singulair for his asthma, but I don't like what I am reading about the side effects associated with this medication. I would love any comments regarding this croup sound or Singulair.

B.,
I would suggest taking a good look at his diet and try to strengthen and support his immune system with food and nutritional supplements. These things can have a huge impact on overall health. Let me know if I can help you with more specific recommendations.

My son was diagnosed with asthma at age 2 - he had the croupy cough that you're talking about. We found a great allergist who I trust. He ended up needing to go on an oral steroid for a couple of months (which I was not happy about, but did it anyway). I'm so glad that I did. It helped his lungs get stronger, and now he rarely has asthma issues. We also have learned what triggers his asthma (fresh paint and construction), so we stay away from it as much as we can. Hope this helps.

B.,

Hi B.,
My son was diagnosed with asthma at 8 months and has been on flovent twice a day since then. We have always been bothered by the constant need for medication, but when we have tried to ween him off before he would always end up hospitalized, put on prednizone/albuterol and a nebulizer.
Recently, however I've gotten a great surge of hope from The Body Ecology Diet which was developed for people who have an overgrowth of yeast (candida) in their systems. I would suggest going to the site and taking the candida quiz both for yourself and your son. www.bodyecology.com
We have been on the diet for 3 months now and have seen great changes in Ben. So much so in fact, that we have started to ween him off of the flovent just this week. Also to supplement and make the transition smoother, we have started going to sessions at Galos Caves (info below), which is recommended for children and adults with upper respiratory issues. We've done two sessions so far. They have family packages and kids under 4 are free. Also they have a space in the cave that is sort of a sand box with toys for kids to play with during the session. We love it.
Also, I would recommend maybe getting a salt pipe for your son. I'm planning on getting one for Ben in the next few weeks. You can order one from www.solaywellness.com. I used to work for Isabella and her products are awesome.
I hope all that helps. If you're up for trying the diet please feel free to contact me off this list for more info. and support. :)
Blessings,
picassoscat400@ yahoo dot com

www.galoscaves.com
6501 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60634
###-###-####

Both of my daughters had this same problem(2 1/2 and 4).We tried all the meds the docs gave us. It didn't stop the symptoms. They were miserable and sicker than ever after monthes of trying. Go to Mertz, the natural pharmecy on Lincoln, in Lincoln Square Chicago. Tell the "pharmacist" your symptoms. They gave us many suggestions and all worked! They are not easy, but they managed my daughters allergies, and poor health. We went off dairy during the very sick periods, cut down on sugar, and took the hoeopathic remedies they suggested. Yes, it was work, but being sick was much more work. We are one year later, in the midst of allery season, and in great shwpe. I go to Mertz now everytime we have a problem. With that said, shortness of breath and cough is nothing t o treat lightly. Take the docs meds now , and continue to see the doc to keep it under control and visit Mertz when the cough is handled.

B.,

My son is now 6 but from the time he was born he had asthma. When he was 2 they put him on Singulair and it did wonders for him. But yes when he did have a cold he did have a croup sounding cough, and really there was nothing I could do for him. I did put a viper riser in his room with him and it seemed to him help him. Because of asthma you can not put viper rub on his chest and when your little one is sick it is hard not to try everything for them, but with asthma you have to watch.Good luck.

Hi B.,

My son is on Singulair and Zyrtec/ pulmicort, and xopenex inhalers, since he was 18 mos. I fear the long term effects, but 3 different pediatricians ASSURE me this is the way to go. Sometimes the allergist and your ped. can work together to find what is the "absolute best," for your precious child.

God Bless.

The next time your son has a croupy cough take him to see the doctor. They will be able to tell you if it is croup or not. My daughter who is 18 years old still gets croup bad enough that she needs steriods to open her airway and they said she would out grow it by 5. When she was younger we spent many nights in the emergency room with her and she does not have asthma. I get that croupy sounding cough every time I get a cold but it is not croup and I do have asthma. Of course the older I get the worse the asthma gets. I would talk to a doctor. If it is croup it can become serious very quickly.

Do you feel confident in your dr.'s (Pediatrician?) ability to treat your son who has asthma or has your Dr. referred you to an Allergist or Pulmonologist? I have asthma and I have been controlling it for over 15 years. An asthmatic cough can have a bronchial (deep) sound to it, croupy probably is a good description. Once the allergy/asthma is controlled, eventually the cough may dissipate - if it is related to a cold/upper respiratory infection, it may take a little longer. Do you have a nebulizer (i.e. small machine that is used to breathe in to and administers Albuterol - a medication that helps open up the bronchials so that your child can breathe better). He can use this in the early days when he gets a cold so he doesn't get worse. If he has been diagnosed with Asthma, I am surprised that your Dr. has not suggested this. It's covered by insurance and you need a prescription to obtain one. It would also behoove you to get your child allergy-tested. You could have allergies in your home that are aggravating his condition. By being proactive, you can help limit the amount of medication that your child may/will have to take. Zyrtec is a good medication - may make him a little tired. Claritin is also good. Singulair is very good for allergies - as an adult, I do not notice any side effects except, I have had a pretty easy Ragweed season and can't say the same about the others around me. You take it regularly and can wean off, seasonally. It doesn't work the same way as a Claritin or Zyrtec, which can be taken daily or just stopped. However, if it were my child, before you start with different medications, I still would make an appointment to an Allergist. Keep in mind that an Allergist and Pulmonologist sometimes agree/sometimes disagree on the path to take to get better. (As my Pulmonologist said...."The Allergist and I...We're both like Fine Chefs....the outcome may be very good but we may take a little different path to get there!" You may end up, eventually seeing a Pulmonologist, too. If your son was diagnosed w/ a Ragweed allergy, the first big frost is coming and will end that complaint for this season. However, do you know what "outdoor pollens it is that he is allergic to?..grasses (Spring), trees (Spring/early Summer), Ragweed (Late Summer/Fall)....and in between there - mold from the rains or snow melting. An Allergist would be a good route to take, if you haven't already. Best of luck to you!

My son is also 3 1/2 and has asthma, but no allergies. His asthma is triggered by colds...when he gets even a little runny nose he starts coughing. (a "croup" sounding cough) We take him to the pediatrician and he can hear the wheezing in his lungs. (We can't hear the wheezing, only the coughing.) He is taking Flovent twice per day everyday to try and keep the asthma under control. When he begins coughing, we use Albuterol or Xopenex (sp?)in a nebulizer to help open up his airways. At first I thought the pediatrician was overreacting by having us bring him in any time he developed a cough, but it's really important for the doctor to be able to assess the cough and breathing so the asthma is managed. From what I understand, the side effects of the medications are not as adverse as the effect of having asthma that is not under control. (We were also worried about the possible side effects of the different meds.) Good luck.

1 / 3