Son Wants a Pet

My 6 year old son wants a pet. I am not crazy about the idea of adding an animal to the household because I'm sure I will be the primary caregiver. He is such a sweet kid, he just wants a pet to love. Any suggestions?

It doesn't look like my answer posted...so I'll try again...

We waited until my daughter was around 8--old enough to care for a pet. We started with hamsters. (It was all I could handle at the time.) We had a contract with her and explained all the rules and things that needed to be done. We explained that if she missed cleaning the cage 3 times, we would get rid of the hamsters. She did really well, and later we got other pets...when I was ready.

Let me say that if you are considering a dog, I think you will end up being the primary caregiver. I don't think there's any way around it. Puppies, especially, are a LOT of work. It's like having another baby in the house! Everything goes in the mouth and you have to watch them all the time so they don't mess on the carpet. You could adopt an older dog, but it still is work. Someone has to let them out on schedule. Sometimes they get into mud or whatever and you have to give unplanned baths.

Cats are really pretty easy and don't require constant attention like dogs, but there is the litter box to clean periodically.

I would say a fish. My daughter wanted a fish tank in her room so bad so for her 3rd birthday we got her a beta fish and tank. She got to help feed him everyday and the tank was a nice night light for her in her room at night. Fish don't last forever but my daughter took it well when hers died she was sad for about a minuet til she got to pick out a new one. Walmart sells them preety cheap. Good luck

I have two cats that I have had for 14 years and I would recommend a cat hands down over a dog any day! We added a dog to our family for months ago and although she is a really great anumal she is VERY high maintenance. My sons enjoy her, but like you said, Mom is the primamry caregiver... FIsh are good but you still have to keep the water clean and balanced and all that jazz. I'd recommend a small rodent, hamster, gerbil.... stick them in the ball and let them roll around while you dump the cage out and tidy things up.

We have a dog. But my son got a goldfish as a party favor and although the original died after about 3 days, his replacement is going strong about 18 months later. Fairly low maintenance but as for "loving" a fish......LOL

I have a 5 year old, a 4 year old and twin 2 year olds and we just got a cat this fall. It is the best pet as far as care because they are pretty self sufficient. The initial cost can be a bit expensive depending on the vet you have because of the shots and if you decide to get it neutered/spayed and declawed. We did have problems with the cat scratching the kids when they would bother her too much but we got her declawed and she is much better now. I recommend a male cat because it is cheaper to get them neutered and they have a shorter recovery time. Having said all this, I prefer dogs for their companionship, they are just too much care for our situation.

We got a 6 week old puppy when my boys were 11 and 6. At first, my oldest did took care of her some and the yougest didn't do much. Anyway, 3 years later, my 9 year old is taking care of her more and really good at playing with her. The 14 year old keeps her in bed with him at night. So, we're sharing in her care, yet I am still her primary caregiver. Are you just getting a pet for him or do you yearn for one too? I really wanted a dog and didn't mind taking care of her. I love her so much and since I don't work she keeps me company. She's 12 pounds and the ultimate lap dog. I wouldn't trade her for anything! Make sure you get a pet you'll both like and wouldn't mind taking care of!

We have a dog, a frog, and fish, and my frog is the lowest maintenance pet we have. The fish tank is insanely more difficult that one would think (we have bought hundreds of dollars worth of supplies because of nitrate levels, ammonia levels, etc.), and my son has almost no interest in them. Our dog is very laid back, so I would recommend a dog like ours, but the chances of finding one that is so calm are probably slim to none, so that leaves me with our adorable aquatic frog. Not much to love, but SO easy to care for (a little fish food and your done). We have thought about a hamster, but I wouldn't want to be cleaning it's cage out. Good luck...no matter what, it will become your responsibility pretty fast!

I agree a low maintenance animal would be best. Fish are fun, my dd loves them. Her fav time of day is the time when we feed the fish.

1 / 3