Son Walking with Left Foot Pointing to the Left

My in-laws are making a big deal out of the fact that my son is 12 months old and not walking yet. They have noticed (as have I) that his left foot turns out to the left when he walks along the furniture or with assistance. Any one else have this occur?

I agree with the other respondents. Just moniter it and if he is still not walking by 16 months you might want to call your local ECI to have a free evaluation in your home. You can call 800-628-5115.

Hi, I have 3 sons who walked, respectively, at 13 months, 14 months and 15 months. There's nothing wrong with them, I just think boys tend to walk a little later than girls do. JMO. :O)

My daughter who is now 2 did the same thing. She did not start walking until she was 15 months old but I spent a lot of time walking with her, assisting her and I noticed her left foot would point out to the left, just like your son. I was concerned so I asked her pediatrician and she said not to worry it would correct itself when she got to walking on her own. Sure enough it did. I know how you feel and it is hard not to worry, but you will see that it will be fine. Hopefully your son won't wait 3 more months to walk, I couldn't wait till my daughter did, on top of it she never crawled! Good Luck!

My 3rd child didn't walk for a long time. She was probably 13 or 14 months old when she started walking on her own. When they're young & just getting their footing they're kind of gangly & don't walk perfectly anyway. As long as your dr. says he's o.k., I wouldn't worry about it too much. Try not to let the in-laws get to you too much. :)

My mother-in-law was also concerned about my son's feet pointing outward. The pediatrician said it would correct itself when he walked on his own, and it did. He walked at 15 months. Also, my daughter didn't walk until 17 1/2 months. Kids can start walking any time between 8 months and 18 months and still be considered in the "normal" range. Tell your in-laws that the baby is fine and they can find something different to worry and nag you about (they will).

HI P. -
My son was breech and from the very beginning we were worried about his legs and how he would walk. He walked with his toes outward and we went to Scottish Rite (because my son was already a patient for his hips) and they said that it was completely normal for them to walk with their toes outward. They are very unstable at the beginning and takes a while for them to walk with their feet straight forward. Your doctor will walk him walk at each appointment and will look for anything to be concerned about. As for him not walking yet, he will start. I have many friends whos kids didn't walk until well after their first birthday. :-) When he does start walking, you won't be able to keep up with him! :-)

hi, when my son started walking, he walked with one of his feet pointing inwards and when i took him to his pediatrician they said that he's absolutely fine and that it would work itself out. my mother-in-law got me worrying about it initially and kept fussing over it. They mean well, but ... !! As the other mums have said, as long as your doctor says that everything is fine, then please don't worry.

1 / 3