Son Soaks Through Diapers at Night

My 12 month old son has to be drinking something to fall asleep at night. I don't mind this because he's okay with water. The only thing that bothers me is that he drinks so much that in the morning his diaper is so soaked that his bed is wet and so are his jammies. We've tried giving him less to drink at night, but he cries for something to drink. I've even tried putting a pad in his diaper to see if it would help, but they still leak. We use Pampers, so they're not cheap diapers. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice. I really appreciate everyone's help. We give my son less to drink at night and he has larger diapers that are made for nighttime. We have wake up to mostly dry mornings! Thanks alot!

I have an 11mo old boy, and I have had the same promblem-until recently. I looked EVERYWHERE for nighttime diapers, and all I could find was size 5 and bigger in Pull-ups. Forget trying to find Huggies nighttime!! I was advised by a kind mommy in Target that the Costco diapers were more absorbent than Pampers and Huggies, and they worked great for her 2 yr old boy. I bought them and they really do work great. Not to mention they are WAY cheaper ($35 for 182 diapers!). Good Luck- I know that changing a crib sheet is the biggest PITA ever!

Hi..
My son was the same way about nighttime drinking. I bought Huggies overnight diapers and they worked for us.
Hope this little bit helps you..

One thing I have noticed is that Pampers are better for little girls. I use Huggies and I rarely have a leaky diaper. Huggies seem to be better for boys and Pampers for girls. My sister agrees and she has a little girl. Huggies are the same price so you don't have to worry about that part. Try them and see how you like them!!

Jakie M, i know how frustrating it is. My son used to do the same until i started giving him hard food right before i gave him the milk, and it definitely help.

Hi my name is J.. My son use to have the same problem. The pampers I found to work the best believe it or not are Luvs. They are wonderful and they don't leak through the night. I use to by the cheapier pampers for the day and use the Luvs at night and there cheapier than pampers. Good luck.

I haven't tried the diaper covers (although I am going to now!!); however, I have used diapers 1 size larger than recommended and seemed to work for us. I also just recently found diapers called "Overnights" I am not sure who makes them (pampers, huggies etc. . .) however I do know that they work very well. I have only found them in drugstores (walgreens, CVS and maybe the supermarkets), I know that wal-mart does not carry them. I did find that I had more leaks when I was using Pampers, and switched over to Huggies. We still had leaks; but, they were not as frequent. Hope this helps . . .

I'm chiming in to agree with April regarding the plastic diaper covers. We lived in Europe when we had our daughter and traveled a lot. For those who've traveled to some of the countries you know the bathrooms in airports, etc are not what we are used to. So, I always used the plastic diaper covers just in case and they were wonderful!

At the age of 12 months, this is the PERFECT age to begin to wean him off the drinking at night, otherwise you are going to wind up with a toddler who cannot sleep through the night without wetting, which will carry over into the potty training process. If you don't stop at this point, it will only get harder....slowly give less and less and do the best you can to make sure the diaper is completely dry just as he is about to fall asleep. This is the age where you need to stop giving bottles and start giving sippy cups...you just have to be in control of the amouunts you put in the cup...

try getting a plastic mattress cover...i don't know where you'd find them though. Sorry!

Hello J.,

We use Pampers as well, but when my son was doing this for about 3mns we used the Huggies Nighttime Diapers and they worked great.

Hope this helps. Oh yeah, you can find the Huggies Nighttime ones at Target and I've seen them at Wal-Mart, but not Babies r us or Toys rus.

My son used to have an issue similar to this..only difference is he demanded juice, but as Natalie said (I had to have surgery as a baby as well) it rots their teeth, so i took the time to transition him to water...then i realized one sippy cup in particular seemed harder to get the fluid out of for my son, so i decided to give him that one at night, he eventually got tired of not being able to get it out of the cup and only used it to hold, as though it is a comfort habit. I bought the cup at wal mart, its a "cars" cup...from the movie....they dont have any others of this kind there, and there is no stopper in it, its just that the hole is so small its a struggle. If you cant break the habit and let the baby cry, try finding a cup like mine. just be creative. good luck

1 / 3