Son Seems to Get Sick Too Often.

I posted in the past a concern on my sons health. I now worry even more. He just had some bug (or the Dr. "thinks it may be a viral infection") and got off antibiotics 3/19/07 but yet here we are 3/21/07 and suddenly he is sick again!

He can't go 2 weeks with out being ill and it is just killing me. I have been out of work for a while and every time I can get a sitter and have an interview he gets sick. :(
So we are all suffering with this one.

He is 2 1/2 years old, in the past had a high platlett count but Dr. said nothing to worry about. We recently noticed that if he has a sugary drink such as bug juice or choc milk he will vomit with in 5 min of the 1st drink. I made it a concern to the nurse practioner who we get stuck seeing cuz I can't plan his illness 3 weeks cuz that is the only way we get into his dr any more (scheduling appt 3 wks ahead of time) and the nurse pract said it is just cuz so rich and might be messing with his glands and making too much saliva.

Any advice is nice to get.

***He has medicaid and has to stick with his own Dr. unless a referral is made by his Dr. which will not happen since she has no concern. I was already informed I would have to wait 6 months since Nov. to switch his dr.*** And he is already on Flinstone vitamins.

You don't mention what kind of medication the doctor has put him on.
Need a little more info on what his problems are.
It can be a number of things including low immune system.

Just a thought: I don't know where you live, but I will tell you something I noticed. We used to live in an almost 100 year old house in Nebraska City. Our whole family got sick way too often when we lived there. We didn't know what to do. Even my husband and I got sinus infections all the time. Our oldest daughter got strep throat every three to five months. Our baby always had a runny nose.

Now, we live in Omaha, in a house that is newer, (built in the 80s) with all new heater and AC, etc. It is much more open and well-aired. We hardly ever get sick now.

I don't know that our house was causing us to be sick, but I have a suspicion, now that we live in this newer house. There can be molds that grow in your house that cause people to get sick. Some people are more prone to it than others.

Like I said, I have no idea where you live, or if my suspicion is even accurate, but it's something to consider.

-J.

Sounds like you really need a new doctor! Thankfully 6 months from Nov is fast approaching. I would suggest a pediatrician over a family doctor though. I'm sure you've probably recieved alot of referals from other members on here, but I love my son's pediatrician. Dr. Kody Moffet @ Childrens Physicians in Bellevue. He's great and I've never had a problem getting my son in the same day. If you want to check him out the number is ###-###-####.
Best wishes,

Hi M.:
I really have to say that if you are that concerned about it then you have to, please excuse this but i dont know how else to say it, turn into a witch and act like your son is the center of the universe, of course your children are in your eyes, and demand that something else be done. I am sure that you have heard the stories about parents intuition, the doctors ignored them, then the next thing you know your child is ill beyond help. I am sure you dont want your sons pediatrician thinking that you are not a nice person or a stuck up witch but who cares this is your child and you deserve answers. Oh and NP, nurse practitioners, are for the most part just as good, if not better, then most doctors. Most NP's were practical nurses, or registered nurses at one point, and nurses are, or are supposed to be, more attentive and pay better attention to detail. Heck nurses catch any mistakes of doctors half the time. Sorry i am rambling but i am in school for nursing so i feel the need to defend my field.
Anyway i hope that everything works out for you and your child gets better.

Have they checked his A1C for diabetes? I have type I and I know if my sugars get too high I feel yucky, feel sick...etc...Just a thought....

First, I would find a new dr. Call medicaid and ask for a list of dr's in your area. Just tell them your not happy with yours and you want a new one. Also, no one can plan when a child gets sick, but even then the dr. should be stopping in after the nurse practitioner does her thing, just to review with you. If they tell you he doesn't have time, why did they schedule your appt. Because EVERY appt he gets schedule he should be seeing at least briefly. When you say he gets sick, is it cold sick or vomiting sick. He could have allergies. I don't know if you can narrow it down to just certain foods/drinks, because their may be a common link there. Also, I don't know what he eats but starchy foods break down into sugars so sugary drinks on top could be overloading him.

Our dr. recommended Flintstones vitamins and I have noticed that it seems at though they have way less colds. this entire winter season, we've only had one 7-day cold.

Sugary drinks can play havoc with a kid's system. We rarely drink juices. and if we cut it in half with water. so they get just a flavor of drink without all the sugar. If we are out somewhere and the only have sodas, we can at least get a lemonade and I always pack their cups and pour some in then add water. As for Chocolate milk, have you tried the kind made with splenda. Even that we will cut with regular milk or add just enough chocoloate to turn in a light brown.

Even Orange juice is sugary so we don't drink that. My son doesn't like it.

Have you asked the doctor or NP about food allergies? They can really cause problems in some kids' little systems. Food allergies can display themselves in tummy symptoms or cold-like symptoms--including ear infections, I think.

If he gets ear infections a lot, you might ask your doctor about having tubes put in his ears. Some of our friends have had success with that procedure, with kids around the same age.

Does anyone smoke around your son? Secondhand smoke can be really bad for little ones' immune systems, not to mention their lungs.

As an aside, it's probably best to stay away from the sugary drinks anyway. Your two-year-old doesn't need extra sugar, especially if he's prone to frequent sickness. Try to get him to drink more water, or if he won't drink it plain, watered-down real fruit juice.

I hope my brainstoriming helped. Good luck! It sounds like you have your hands full!

I would definatilty go to a new doctor. Just call Medicade or your case worker and let them know. I wouldn't be taking their answer for this illness, especially if I feel that there is something wrong. I always go mother's intution. It's hasn't failed yet when it comes to the kids being sick. It sounds if your doctor's office is not dealing with the problem and only trying to treat the first symptons they see. There may be an underlying illness that they are not looking for and not treating especially when he sick this often -like the allergies as posted by others. I would question their diagnoses everytime.
I would also suggest trying Pedilyte or something like it to drink when he is sick.

1 / 3