Son Repeats Words, Is It a Stutter?

My 2.8yr old son talks a lot and has a wide vocabulary. I have noticed in the past month that he sometimes repeats one of his words in a sentence that he seems to be trying to get out... kind of like a stutter. I've asked my husband if he thinks it's a stutter but he doesn't think so. My son seems to do this when there's a lot of activity around him with his sister or getting ready to get out of the house. I'm going to call our pediatrician but I also wanted to see if any of you had experiences similar with your children who are now a bit older. Thank you!

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I knew that by sharing on this platform that hearing others stories my mind would calm. I appreciate all of your stories and suggestions! Happy Parenting!

Hi! My daughter is 3 and went through the same thing a few months ago. It lasted about a month. She is now over it, with an occasional slip up. He will soon outgrow this. Best of luck!

No.
My son went through the same thing and I was so paranoid because he was born very early and was so delayed on many other things.
I even had a meeting with his teacher asking her about it. She said give it time. She was right!
He is 6 and fine now. Just part of learning speech.
Dont worry.

I have a three and half year old daughter who did the same thing around 2 1/2 to 3. I thought the same thing. She had always spoke very well but I was still concerned. The doctor said she was just excited and could speak as quickly as her brain wanted her to. Now she doesn't do it all. I wouldn't worry. Good luck!

My 5 1/2 year old sometimes has problems getting words out so I had him tested by the local school district when he was 4 1/2. In Houston you can have free testing done during the summer--don't wait for the school year to start. His problem is that he has a very advanced vocabulary for his age. The speech specialist told me to stop what I was doing when he starts to have problems and DON'T try to rush him or finish his sentence for him (even though I can figure it out before he gets it out!) This seems to work great except if I'm in a hurry, which is my problem, not his!!

You can request for a screening by the school district if your pediatrician doesn't help you with this. It was very worth my own comfort to have the screening done on my son.

Hi, I went through the same with my two sons, my now 4 yr old sometimes still does it, it really occured when they were excited or they tried to say alot of things at once.
ask him to slow down when he talks, the drs. told us that if he only does it at certain times then monitor it and donot make a big deal out of it just to ask him to repeat and say it slower. they said that if we made a big deal ou tof it, that the issue could grow and they would do it more often. It is just the process that they are thinking faster than the words are coming out. Stuttering when it is a speech problem they will continually say it nomatter what the situation around him is and what the word is. It usually is the first few words of a sentence. If your son is saying a word in the middle or something try adn determine what the sound is that he is trying to say, have him say other words that are similar in sound. if he still has the issues with those words just help him with those sounds. You are concerned and you have right to be, but try not to make an issue over it.

My son did this. It's a stammer and completely normal. My ped said sometimes their brain just works faster than their mouths can get the words out. He eventually outgrew it but I don't remember when.

DON"T WORRY! I teach preschool-two yr olds and had a situtation with a child that started to concern me. I did soem research and found that it is normal for older twos/young threes to stutter for awhile. Their brains are developing so fast and their muscles (mouth) can't keep up. Don't be surprised if he starts to walk on his toes a bit too. This alarmed me, but it falls right in place and often times goes together. He will outgrow it soon. I think (this next sentence is my opinion and anecdotal inference) that our kids go thru a phase of physical development followed by mental/cognitive development. So, right now he is in a cognitive stage. Next, you may see him go thru a growth spurt and the stuttering will go away cuz his body/muscles has caught up with his brain.

I have a son the same age (will be 3 Aug 12) and we have been going through the exact same thing. I'm so glad to hear we aren't the only ones! I think that it must be normal! He has a very wide vocab as well but has trouble with pronounciation and gets kind of "stuck." I'd be happy to talk about the similarities if you need to commiserate. Just email me.

Best wishes!

Sounds like he is just trying to make sure that he actually said the word he meant to say. I have a tendancy to do the same thing when there is a lot of noise or activity around me, or even when I'm just stressed out or tired. All of those things can interfere with your concentration and break your chain of thought. I wouldn't worry about it too much at his age.

Hey S...... my oldest daughter did the same thing when she was that age , and she has grown out of it. Now I have noticed my second daughter doing it too, so far its only with the word mom...sort of like maamaamaa , and both were when they were excited. I'm not too worried about it yet, I think its something they will grow out of. I think its their little heads are trying to talk faster than their little mouths can get it out. I hope this helps. B.

1 / 3