Son Keeps Getting Rash Between Legs After Being at the Beach

This is the second time this has happened, I took my son who is three to the beach this weekend. After we got home a few hours later he had a rash on both thighs that hurt and was itchy. I didn't have the cream I was gioven last year so I used cortizone. Once again this mornign when he got up he was having a hard time walking. I took him to the doctor and he said not to worry that he is allergic to something weather it be a bite or something. I have to use this specail cream and give him benadryl. Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this and what you did. Thanks

I just want to thank everyone for their great advise. I gave him the benadryl and put the ointment from the doctor on it and he was good in a few hours. I will keep all advice on hand since I will be at the shore tomorrow. Thanks again and hopefully one day I can help you back. Mom of the rash boy R. C.

Hi....Both of my sons have experienced this problem at the beach. I finally cut the netting out of their bathing suits and they have not experienced any more of those painful rashes. My sons are 12 and 8 and now they cut out their own netting as soon as getting a new suit!

Hi R. -

The rash is most likely caused from his bathing suit and sand combo rubbing against his legs. My older son gets it frequently. To help prevent it - rub a good coating of thick diaper cream on his inner thighs before going to the beach. It does help. You may also want to look into a suit made of a softer fabric. The cheaper nylon suits tend to cause more problems.

Hope this helps!

Both of my nephews, as well as my 4 year old son have had the rash issue at the beach. It's probably because their skin is softer, and more sensitive. It will improve as he gets older. This is what worked for my son just a few weeks ago when we were on vacation.....I put vasaline on the inside of his legs, or you can try aloe vera gel as well, before heading out to the beach, and it worked beautifully. (It seemed to be the salt water that they all had a problem with.) The gel acts as a barrier against the salt, (or the sand), and hopefully will keep your son rash-free!

This is a very common problem for boys and Men. We have researched it surveyed it and now we have designed a new swimsuit to prevent it ! Go to NoNetz .com this suit will be available for this Summer.. 2012 ! Keep checking back to see our Launch Date !!

Hi R.,
Seems like I remember reading that kids (and adults) can have reaction to the tiny micro organisms that live in sea water. I'd make sure to rinse him/shower him off after he gets out of the ocean. Good luck!

hey R.! just noticed after 2 days at the beach, a horrible rub burn type of rash inbetween my daughters thighs!! i placed the cause on her swimmy and sand rubbing together.
so, instead of treating the problem after it has already occured, i'd rather treat the cause (rather than the effect)... You said that your son was 3, but didn't mention if he is in a diaper...
My daughter is 2 and later in august we are spending a week at the shore. My husband and I decided tonight that she will be without a diaper for that week - what better place to potty train than at the shore??
best to you,
A.

my step daughter did but she was alittle chunky and got it for bathing suit and sand rubbing...

My 3yr old daughter had the same type reaction (thigh only rash) this weekend after being in our no-chlorine kiddie pool on & off all day. We think it was caused by prolonged exposure to her wet bathing suit, which was "boy short" style on the bottom and covered her thighs. It's happened only once before, when she was in the same wet bathing suit for longer than normal. I'm not sure if it's the same thing as what your son has, but it sounds like it. We used Aquaphor healing ointment for 2 days, and it seems to be helping. I think we will try to be better about getting her out of her wet bathing suit in the future. We let her eat lunch in it, etc. Maybe bring baby powder to the beach and rub it on your sons thighs after his bathing suit drys to reduce friction, or try a different or more moisture-wicking material for his bathing suit. Just a thought. Good luck!

1 / 3