Son Is Sleeping but Keeps coughing...what Can I Do

Hey moms....my 17 month old has been in bed for a few hours now and is asleep but he keeps coughing. It's a very dry cough. Is there anything I can do? I hate to wake him up but I know he has to be miserable. Or if it ends up waking him up what can I do?

rub vicks vapor rub on his feet and cover with socks. Works wonders ! Also try giving him something to drink - water. Maybe he has a tickle in his throat that won't go away ?

What may help is if you have a humidifier, the stores have some vicks liquid that you can put in the humidifier that may loosen up the cough or help him sleep better. If you don't own one, another solution is to just boil water. Get a big pot and boil the water and the moisture in the air should help.

My son was like that for a month and a half. After two trips to the doctor he was on albuterol and pulmicort (asthma meds) and amoxicillion for hayfever and sinus infection. After a week solid on these meds, he was better. They decided that that is all it was...hayfever that turned into a sinus infection. Good luck to you. I know it is miserable when you can't do anything for your little ones.

Albuterol is great! If you don't have a nebulizer with it already, invest in one.
The humidifier is great, and some kids cloroseptic (sp?) is great! It tastes like grape. :)

I'd put a humidifier in his room ASAP. You can also try to give him another pillow to prop him up a bit. It might just be a post nasal drip down the back of his throat. Some water might help too. This is the only time I'd let my kids have sippy cups in bed. Lots of ice, very little water.

If that doesn't stop it I'd give him some Delsum, but only if it's keeping HIM awake.

My little guy kinda went through the same thing a few weeks ago and his doc said that often times when a baby is coughing at night, it bothers the parents much more than it does the baby.
Putting a humidifier in the room should help with the coughing a little bit, but other than that, coughing is his body's natural way of getting out whatever needs to come out.
If he's waking up and crying because of the coughing then I'd call his doctor, but otherwise just let him do what he needs to do and know that you're a good mommy even if you aren't doing anything. :)

My 30 month old just did this a couple weeks ago. She would not cough all day long but then when she laid down would cough...it was only a couple nights where it seemed to last all night long. I got up and filled a non spill sippy with ice water...seemed to help. I would just put it in her hand so she knew it was there and let her decide when to drink. She never woke up, just took a drink in the middle of her sleep.

A humidifier usually helps alot. When my kidos have a persistant cough I put a large blanket under the mattress so they sleep with their upper half more upright. There are lots of things a dry cough could be... If your little one has a runny nose or fever Id probably take him in to see the Doc. Tis the season for upper resperitory infections... Better safe than sorry.

1 / 3