Son Has Started Squealing.

My son is 18 months old and has started squealing, you know that really high pitch that can almost make your ears bleed. He has only started doing this within that past week or so, and I have absolutely no clue how to dicipline him. He squeals when he is happy but mostly when he does not get his way.

So I am wondering what you moms have done to stop your child from squealing. (If not all the time then just from squealing while in the house or car.)

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to the terrible 2's. It is his way of expressing himself. I try to ignore my daughter when she does it or tell her I only understand when she speaks to me. Good luck!

Hello, B.

Welcome to the beginning of the "terrible two's!!! :o)
You will find it may get worse before it gets better. There is not a lot you can do except to try to distract him from the behavior with a toy or food (he can't squeal if he is eating/drinking). I can speak on this because I have a 20 month old granddaughter who does the same thing. Most of the time she's a happy go-lucky toddler, but she can have some of the most ear-splitting, foot-stomping, hand waving tantrums on the planet. It does get better, though. Be patient and hang in there.

I feel your pain! :) It can be a phase if you treat it right. When my son would squeal because he was happy, I'd start whispering and speaking to him in a very happy but quiet voice. Toddlers love to immitate, so more often than not, he'll quieten down to match your voice. When he was angry, I'd give him a huge hug, say, "I love you," and put him in his crib until he calmed down. I would put him in the crib sitting or standing, leave the light on, leave the door open, and turn on some music - anything to make it different from bedtime/naptime. I would go ahead and tell him that I'd come get him when he calmed down. (It's amazing how much toddlers understand!) As long as he wasn't screaming - even if he was still crying - I'd go back and get him, but I usually left him for at least a minute or two so he'd get the picture. He's 21 months now, and looking back I think it took two or three weeks to pass through the phase with these tricks. He still screams occasionally, but it's very rare - and therefore much more tolerable! Hope that helps!

B., do you have a pack and play? If you do, I think I'd put him in it every single time he squeals and leave the room. Hopefully he'll get the picture that mommy won't stay with him if he makes the noise. I think he's just playing with his vocal chords and pushing your buttons. In the car, I'd have to stop driving and get out, or my head would burst.

Hope this stage passes quickly!

haha i know that sound its normal. nothing you can do.. why discipline if hes happy?

Hi B.,
Since your son squeal mostly in private, you should make a game of it by squealing back with your facial expression in a crying motion and shaking your heading at the same time. When you stop squealing, look at him seriously and say No, No! No more. I did this with my grand children when they won't stop crying for no reason. This should be the same concept for squealing. Give me some feedback. Good luck!

Really, the only thing you can do is ignore it and not give him what he wants until he stops squealing. my son did the same thing and i thought i was going to go insane. it lasted a few months, then when he started being able to say more, it stopped. i just constantly kept telling him to say what ever it was he wanted and please, ex. balloon please and that's all i'd say. eventually he did start saying using his words more. many kids, especially boys i've found have done this around this age.
good luck.

I would make sure first that the squealing isn't from any illness.Then if everything ok there I would try and nip in the bud very soon.
I use to pull over in the car if my daughter started squealing and tell her we will not continue this behaviour while Mom is driving car that it distracts her. I know this sounds like I can't just pull over on the side of the road but I did when i had the opening. When she was inside i would tell her that I can't understand her when she is squealing and if she wanted me to pay attention to her she needed to talk softly. After a week or so it worked.

My Point is if you don't give in to them or let them know right away that this can not continue they will give in. You have to give them a choice if they don't then they don't get what they want,when they want it.
Plus you have to be consistent and see it thru or they will see they can continue on.

I hope this helps and makes sense to you.

First-make sure the squealing isn't health related
Second- Be Mom and stick to your guns.
Third- Make sure Dad follows thru and on the same page when dealing with the squealing.
Fourth- Give them a choice if they don't choose- you do and that's it.
Fifth- Give them Love and Let them know that it ok to squeal but there are limits
Sixth--Same as Fifth but just hug them and Tell Them You Love Them.

He found a new cool thing he can do with his voice! He probably thinks it's the coolest new thing since breastmilk. My daughter is at that stage and I only respond by queitly saying, No screaming please, and that's it. It seems that if I respond to it more than that she tries to do it more to get more reaction from me. She doesn't do it now unless she is super excited about something.

1 / 3